New-generation Mercedes-Maybach SUV on the cards?
It seems the affection towards the SUV type is not limited to India alone as global audiences too have shown a strong demand for an ultra luxury SUV. To encash on this sentiment, a Mercedes-Maybach SUV is reported to be in works.
The new Mercedes-Maybach SUV will be the brand's flagship offering sitting over the entire portfolio and will be compete with the Land Rover Range Rover Autobiography in the premium space. Mercedes reported impressive sales number for the long wheelbase S-Class Maybachs in China, which is cited as one of the strong reasons for the brand to go ahead with the plan of an ultra luxurious SUV.
This SUV will be based on a new platform. It will join the niche high-end SUV league consisting of the Maserati Levante and Bentley Bentayga, which will shortly be joined by the Lambo Urus. Aston Martin too is reported to be working on a DBX crossover while the Rolls Royce Cullinan project is expected to make a debut in 2018.
Why are all premium brands working on a SUV, you ask. At the 2016 Geneva Motor Show, Stephen Winkleman, former CEO and president, Lamborghini pointed out that the presence in a larger and more popular SUV segment with a higher volume guarantees the existence of their flamboyant supercars ( detailed feature here). Thus, all these manufacturers want to safeguard their presence with more viable offerings.
Ola Kallenius, member of the board, Mercedes-Benz Cars said, "The trend towards SUVs is unbroken." He further added, "People love the high seating position, they love the styling, the sporty image around it and also that combined with utility. I think the SUV trend is going to continue. Since we brought the M-Class back in 1997, that segment has just completely and totally exploded."
Starts Rs 3.78 Crore
Starts Rs 1.74 Crore
Starts Rs 1.45 Crore
- NewsMaruti Suzuki S-Cross crosses one lakh sales figure
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Santro vs Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio
- News2018 Hyundai Santro: Launch image gallery
- News2018 Hyundai Santro launched in India at Rs 3.90 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Hero Destini 125 scooter quick ride review