New Tesla Model 3 mid-range variant launched at $45,000
Tesla founder Elon Musk announced on Twitter that the company is launching a new mid-range version of its smallest EV, the Tesla Model 3. This is a new variant whose existence was so far kept under wraps completely.
Just released lower cost, mid-range Tesla Model 3 & super simple new order page https://t.co/cz0TQn7IOZ
- Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 18, 2018
The launch of this new variant has also allowed Tesla to restructure the Model 3 line-up. The Long-range version will now only be available in a dual motor configuration while the mid-range version effectively replaces the single motor long-range version at a lower price point. The mid-range version will cost $45,000 as against the $49,000 of the earlier car. The base standard range version with its attractive $35,000 price tag is still four to six months away from launch. The Model 3 performance costs $54,000.
The mid-range Model 3 is expected to come with a range of 418 km. This is about 80 km less than the 500 km range of the Performance version. The Standard version will see its range drop to 354 km. Tesla claims a sub-six second 0 to 96 kmph time for the Standard version, consequently, the mid-range version will at least equal or better that. But this will still be some way off the 3.3s acceleration figure that the top-spec dual-motor Performance version claims.
With this restructuring of the Model 3 line-up, Tesla will be hoping to achieve, or at least get closer to, what it promised to do with the Model 3, to begin with. Make a Tesla that is affordable and can be a viable alternative to the usual crop of luxury mid-sized sedans.
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh