Next-gen Honda City and Jazz to have hybrid powertrains
The present generation of the Honda City has been on sale since 2014. Given that most cars have a life-cycle of 5 to 6 years, and also the fact that Honda has always been quick to update the Honda City in India, it can be assumed that the next generation Honda City will debut either by late 2019 or 2020 with hybrid powertrain options. This also comes at a time when the government has set aggressive targets for the car industry to adopt alternative fuels.
In recent interactions with the media, Takahiro Hachigo, CEO at Honda Motor had said the company was planning to launch six models in India over the next three years. He also said that the company would focus on diesel and hybrid powertrains, given that the infrastructure in the country was still not conducive enough to justify a full EV. This is quite a contrarian strategy to that of other manufacturers who have shown increased focus on full EVs as well.
The Honda Jazz, due for a facelift this year, is also expected to be a part of the six models mentioned in this strategy. The all-new version should be launched soon after the new City and will continue to share powertrain options like the present generation cars.
The next generation City and Jazz will be equipped with Honda's new hybrid i-MMD technology for small and midsize cars. This is more efficient than the current i-DCD technology it uses in the Honda Accord Hybrid sold in the country. Honda claims this system should return a fuel economy of 25 kmpl. Sources say the six models to be launched by Honda will be the next-gen Amaze, the new Civic, CR-V, Jazz, City and a compact crossover to compete with the Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass.
These developments are also in line with Honda's strategy to have two-thirds of its global fleet will be electrified by 2030.
Source: ET Auto
Starts Rs 8.77 Lakhs
Starts Rs 43.21 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.35 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
- News2018 INMRC: Jagan Kumar widens lead in the Super Sport category
- NewsLive updates: Vazirani Shul electric hypercar showcased in India
- NewsMaserati Ghibli Ribelle is an all-black limited edition offering for the EMEA markets
- News2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 twin and Interceptor 650 twin prices out!
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross facelift spotted testing in India
- NewsTriumph India to launch six new motorcycles by June 2019
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS interiors revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know