Next-gen Skoda Rapid for India could debut by June 2021
The next-generation Skoda Rapid will debut in India by the middle of 2021. The Rapid will be the first sedan from Skoda India to be based on the MQB-A0-IN platform and will follow the SUV that is being readied for India under the same platform. These products are part of the new Skoda-led India 2.0 initiative that Volkswagen has begun in India. The aim is to garner more market share for the firm, up to five per cent over the next few years.
The Rapid that will come to India is expected to significantly differ from the one in Europe. This car has already been replaced by the Scala hatchback there but a refresh has let stay on sale in places like Russia. The India-spec Rapid will see significant inputs from the new R and D centre that Skoda has established in Pune. Further, the sedan will have high levels of localisation, up to 90 per cent.
Russia-spec rapid shown for reference
In terms of looks, the new rapid could take significant styling cues from the new Octavia and the Scala. Expected is the new Skoda face with the tapering headlamps, larger grille and the new L-shaped tail lamp design. Mechanically, the Rapid could come with the new 1.0-litre engine that has debuted internationally. This engine comes in a 95PS/175Nm configuration that is paired with a five-speed manual or as a 115PS/200Nm that gets a six-speed manual or a seven-speed DCT. Numerous features like the virtual-cockpit digital instrument cluster, an eight-inch touchscreen, etc.
The new Rapid will compete with cars like the new-gen Honda City that was just revealed in Thailand, the facelifted Hyundai Verna, the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and possibly even a Tata sedan derived from the Altroz's ALFA architecture.
Starts Rs 7.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.91 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.31 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8.2 Lakhs
- News2020 Suzuki Gixxer 250 launched at a price of Rs 1.63 lakh
- News2020 Datsun Redi-Go launched in India for Rs 2.83 lakh
- NewsHyundai helps customers affected by AMPHAN cyclone in West Bengal
- NewsGWM India appoints James Yang as president
- NewsSpec comparo: Etergo AppScooter vs Ather 450X vs Bajaj Chetak vs TVS iQube
- CONTEST: Finding Solace | Better Photography Weekly Challenge
- Winners of the Macros at Home Contest
- A ‘Bird’ was Used to Make Children Sit Still!