Next-generation Ford Ecosport SUV spotted testing
A new small SUV from Ford has been spotted testing around the company's European headquarters in Cologne, Germany. This heavily camouflaged SUV seems to be the next generation Ecosport, set to launch internationally by late 2020.
The design seems to be a noticeable departure from the current SUV. The new gen car is set to be based on the same modular structure as the current-gen Fiesta hatchback. Replacing the boxy, squared-off look of the earlier car is a new design based heavily on the current Fiesta.
The front gets the signature Ford grille, and an imposing front-end. The housing for the headlamps are now the pulled back shaped as the one on the hatchback. The side profile is similarly a high-set version of the hatchback. The most striking change is that of the rear-end. Instead of a traditional hatch, the boot is now a notchback, quite similar in execution to what we have seen on a number of coupe-SUVs.
No details of the interior are available but we expect it to mimic that of the international market Fiesta, dominated by a large central touchscreen housing the Sync infotainment system. Engine options will mimic those of the hatch as well. So expect petrols and diesels between 1.0 and 1.4-litre displacement with power outputs ranging from 90 to 140PS. An EV and plug-in hybrid variant will invariably be made too.
The Ecopsort has been a strong seller for Ford worldwide, especially in developing markets like ours. It has been around since 2013 and is due for a generation change. This makes it one of the most important cars for the company given its limited presence in the small SUV space. This car takes on even more significance given Ford's strategy of concentrating on SUVs and hatchbacks.
Starts Rs 7.67 Lakhs
Team OD | 11 Jan 2019
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Omni to be phased out by mid-2019
- News2019 Mahindra XUV300 SUV to launch in India on February 14
- News2019 BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 GSA ADV to be launched in India on January 18
- NewsMahindra Electric launches NEMO Life mobile app for EVs
- NewsBMW 7 Series facelift debuts in China, gets a 40 per cent larger grille!
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani