Next generation Jeep Wrangler SUV spotted testing undisguised in India
The next generation Jeep Wrangler has been spotted testing in India. The JL-generation of this iconic off-roader made its debut last year internationally, replacing the ageing JK-generation currently available in India. This is the first all-new Wrangler since 2007.
The Wrangler has been thoroughly updated but continues with a purposeful ladder-frame construction. This frame is lighter and has also led to the car becoming longer, freeing up more interior space. The body uses mainly high-strength steel but the hood, doors, and windshield frame are made of aluminium and the tailgate is magnesium. Off-roading capability has improved with better approach and departure angles, electric front- and rear-axle locks, a limited-slip differential and up to 30 inches of water fording ability. The 277mm groun clearance also helps in this regard.
Styling is evolutionary. The classic Wrangler ,and consequently Jeep, look has been re-interpreted for the new car with subtle changes being made everywhere, including in the seven-slat grille and the now LED-equipped round headlamps.
The waterproof interiors have been completely reworked too. It still follows the geometric, retro-themed layout of the previous car but is now better made and more feature packed. The new Uconnect infotainment, similar to the one seen on the Jeep Compass stands out.
The new Jeep Wrangler is available with a new 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol turbo-charged unit and the 3.6-litre V6. The all-new 2.0-litre turbocharged engine makes 274PS and 400Nm of torque and is mated to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. But of most interest to us is the 2.2-litre diesel motor available in European markets. This makes 200PS and 448 Nm.The Wrangler is available in a 3 and 5 door bodystyles and four trim levels internationally. These are Sport, Sport S, Sahara and Rubicon. But it remains to be seen what Jeep actually offers in India. The model we spotted was the three-door version so we can expect both body styles to be made available. This should also make the wrangle slightly more affordable. The JK generation car is sold here at around Rs 75 lakh, making it a pricey proposition.
The Wrangler can trace its lineage directly to the iconic Willy MB and has had a cult following ever since. The SUV stands out with its singular focus on off-roading. This new generation aims to strike a better balance and broaden its appeal, especially in new markets like India.
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000
- NewsTVS Apache RR 310, NTorq 125 and Apache RTR 160 4V launched in Peru