NIO ES8 electric SUV launched, a cheaper alternative to the Tesla Model X
NIO, Chinese automobile startup, has launched the NIO ES8 electric SUV at half the price of the Tesla Model X SUV. The NIO ES8 may sound like the name for a smartphone but is a proper electric vehicle. The NIO ES8 features dual electric motors that output a combined 652PS of power and 840Nm of torque. The 70 kilowatt-hour VDA square cell battery on the NIO ES8 is liquid cooled for optimum performance. The NIO ES8 is primarily a competitor for the Tesla Model X, but is priced at 4,48,000 yuan (Rs 43.45 lakh approx) in China where it is manufactured. While the vehicle has been launched and bookings have also begun in the origin country, the developers of the NIO ES8 say that they will begin deliveries only after the car completes its comprehensive 3 million km test run. With the delay from Elon Musk's Tesla Inc to reach India, manufacturers such as NIO could stand to benefit in the Indian market by acting fast, in the face of the Indian government's strong stance for an all-electric future.
The NIO ES8 delivers sportscar-like performance with a 0-100kmph time of 4.4 seconds. However, at the moment, China is the only country where the ES8 electric SUV is available for purchase. There are no details on the possibility and timeline of its launch in international markets including India. The battery on the ES8 is rated for a 2,000-charge lifecycle, and the company is offering a rental plan to customers for easy swapping at the end of the battery's life as well as a mobile emergency charging service to help owners charge it on the go, when needed. India meanwhile has just witnessed the first batch of electric vehicles to be delivered to a government agency EESL, in the form of the Tata Tigor electric.
Starts Rs 5.2 Lakhs
- News2019 Nissan GT-R prices for the U.S. market announced
- NewsTata Nexon SUV becomes first Indian-origin car to score five-star Global NCAP rating
- NewsShell India and Gordon Murray Design unveil pre-production OX Truck
- News2019 FIA F3 Championship: Jehan Daruvala to drive for Prema Racing
- NewsThe Nissan GT-R50 by Italdesign concept is headed to production in 2019
- NewsTata Harrier SUV seven-seater version to debut in 2019, one of three major Tata launches next year
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Skoda Scala
- News2019 Skoda Scala premium hatchback unveiled internationally
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India crosses the 40 lakh sales milestone
- Review2019 Tata Harrier first drive review