Nissan admits emissions data falsified at plants in Japan
Japanese manufacturer Nissan has joined the increasing number of car makers including Volkswagen, Daimler, Mitsubishi, General Motors to have admitted to falsifying data as regards emission or fuel economy. The company said that it had discovered falsified data from car exhaust emissions tests at most of its plants based in Japan. It did not disclose, how many cars were involved.
It said that the tests had been deviated from the prescribed testing environment and revealed that, the company inspectors had used altered measurement values on emissions reports. It also stated that some illegal test inspections may have dated back to 1979 at its plant in Tochigi. The brand has reported the current facts and investigation results to the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism.
The new Indian-spec Micra will closely resemble the European car seen here
Nissan has ensured that there would be a full and comprehensive investigation of the facts outlined above, including the causes and background of the misconduct.
The company has confirmed that the exports (The cars sold outside of Japan) were not affected by the error in testing and the emission and fuel economy results were within emission limits on all vehicles.
The Nissan Kicks was due to be launched this year, but will comes to our shores only next year, in 2019
Nissan has further explained that around 1% of vehicles produced, were taken offline for emissions and fuel economy testing, which according to the company, equates to 2,187 vehicles. Among the cars taken offline, A spokesman stated that the company identified 1,171 cases in which test results were non-compliant in one form or another.
The car maker said that it had rechecked reliable data and confirmed that all vehicles except the GT-R sports car followed to Japanese safety standards. It did not explain why the GT-R had been excluded.
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Santolino Lorenzo dominates Moto category
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Image gallery Leg 2
- NewsBrabus makes a 600PS Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S SUV
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Image gallery Leg 1
- NewsVideo worth watching: V12-powered Ferrari 250 GTO screaming to glory
- Review2018 Honda Jazz review
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Leg 1 sets the event rolling today with SS 1 to SS 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Scrutiny and driver's briefing image gallery
- FeaturesIndependence Quattro Drive 2018: From Chandigarh to Leh
- NewsDrag strip-only Ford Mustang Cobra Jet unveiled