Nissan overtakes Maruti Suzuki to become Indias second largest car exporter
Nissan has overtaken Maruti Suzuki for the second place in car exports for the fiscal year 2013-14. The number one spot has been retained by Korean car major Hyundai.
Nissan exports the Sunny sedan and Micra hatchback models to markets in Europe, Africa and Middle East, which are produced at its manufacturing plant in Chennai. Nissan has exported 1.18lakh units while Maruti has exported 99,832 units during the previous fiscal. Maruti Suzuki's performance has been hit particularly because of Algeria and African countries preferential import duty agreement with European companies that allow the latter to sell their cars at 10-20 per cent lower duty in comparison to Indian manufacturers. Nissan on the other hand is expecting its export figures to grow further owing to the launch of its Datsun brand whose products will be exported to emerging markets around the world. Hyundai Motors is still the dominant player in the export market having shipped a total of 2.04lakh units in the previous financial year.
The overall export of passenger cars has risen by seven per cent while the domestic market is witnessing its worst slump ever. Maruti Suzuki has not been able to maintain its exports and was first taken over by Hyundai for the top spot and has now been overtaken by Nissan. It is however still the largest automaker in India with nearly forty per cent of the domestic market share.
Starts Rs 7.05 Lakhs
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know
- NewsBetter recognition needed in order for Indian motorsport to grow says Gautam Singhania
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage launched in India
- NewsThe 510PS Aston Martin Vantage has been launched in India at Rs 2.95 crore
- FeaturesOD Mercedes-Benz 24-hours Performance Run: Scale of C
- News2018 Ducati 959 Panigale Corse launched in India at Rs 15.2 lakh
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover