Mahindra says no to electric versions of Scorpio and TUV300
Mahindra and Mahindra will not develop an all-electric variant of its Mahindra Scorpio SUV. Nor will it do the same for the Mahindra TUV 300, Mahindra Bolero. The company is not developing electric vehicles for any of its cars that have a body-on-frame chassis, also known as ladder frame. While the move may disappoint customers of the popular Mahindra Scorpio, M&M managing director Pawan Goenka said that the ladder frame is not conducive to electrification, due to weight limits and other reasons. While Scorpio, TUV 300 and Bolero have been ruled out, what could be coming will be electrified versions of the XUV500 and KUV100 as both have a monocoque chassis. At the same time, the company is developing city-centric electric vehicles. Mahindra's sister company Mahindra Electric will progressively invest Rs 300 crore to Rs 400 crore towards development of new electric powertrains.
Mahindra recently stopped selling the Intelli-Hybrid variant of the Scorpio, and now says will not develop an electric version of the SUV either.
Mahindra and Mahindra recently announced a tie-up with Ford to jointly develop electric vehicles and connected cars. The company also launched the e-Alfa Mini electric rickshaw as well as unveiled the first driverless tractor. Earlier, after the announcement of GST, the company had also decided to phase out its mild hybrid system on the Scorpio as there was no incentive to offer the option.
Starts Rs 8.12 Lakhs
Starts Rs 10.05 Lakhs
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show