No helmet, no fuel rule in Cuttack from July 1, 2016
To make helmets a mandatory affair for motorcyclists, the Cuttack Police Commissionerate will implement a 'no helmet, no fuel' rule in Cuttack from July 1, 2016. The police plans to conduct awareness programmes regarding the same from June 20th, before implementing the rule.
"We will send letters to all fuel filling stations, educational institutes, government offices and puja committees seeking their cooperation in successful implementation of the rule," DCP (Cuttack) Sanjeev Arora said to ETAuto. The police recently held a special meeting with the petrol pump owners asking them not to sell petrol to motorists not wearing helmets.
Police will be present at petrol pumps to keep an eye on violators. The DCP further stated that the police would initiate action against violators. Challans will be issued and fine amount ranging from Rs 100 to Rs 500 will be collected from them.
Cuttack will be the fourth city to implement the said rule after Rourkela, Bargarh and Bhubaneswar in the state of Odisha. Rourkela was the first city to implement the rule on December 18th 2015.
This is not the first time a rule like this is being implemented. The first serious attempt was made in 2004 by then traffic police chief, Tejdeep Kaur Menon, who took up the initiative at a time when there was no specific pressure from the government or any other group.
- NewsLive updates: Mahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV name announcement
- News2019 Honda Civic spotted testing in India ahead of launch
- NewsVolkswagen ID electric hatchback begins testing, to have 550 km range
- NewsThree SUVs that will compete with Jeep Renegade in India
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019
- News2018 INRC: Gaurav Gill claims championship title with Popular Rally victory
- News2019 Ford Figo facelift spotted testing undisguised
- NewsUpdated Force Gurkha Xtreme launched at Rs 12.99 lakh
- NewsKTM working on a bigger and better RC390, to take on Yamaha R3 and Kawasaki Ninja 400
- NewsHyundai QXi sub-four meter SUV spotted testing in South Korea