Porsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
German premium car manufacturer, Porsche has announced plans of exiting the diesel powertrain space completely. The company launched its first diesel offering in the form of the Cayenne SUV nine years ago as it was a booming segment back then. Further, Porsche introduced diesel versions of the Macan and the Panamera as well. However, all of that will end this year as Porsche retires all its diesel-powered vehicles.
When Porsche launched the third-gen Cayenne last year, there was no diesel version, which could have been as the first hint to this recent development. And now the company has stopped global production of the Macan S diesel and also the Panamera 4S diesel. It is said that the company has stopped global production of these diesel offerings and has no plans of making the 3.0-litre turbo diesel comply with the future emission standards. The official statement released by the company states that the Macan S diesel has been taken out of the production programme as the buyer demand moves towards petrol and hybrid versions. The company mentions that diesels account to 15 per cent of total sales globally. Talking specifically about the Panamera, the diesel accounts for 15 percent while that for gasoline is 35 per cent and 4 E-Hybrid is 50 percent.
Porsche Mission-E to launch next year
Porsche has already spent over a billion dollars at its Stuttgart plant for electrification and hybrids. The company plans to launch the Mission E four-door electric saloon by 2019. In fact, Porsche is the first company that has been vocal about discontinuing its diesels in favour of gasoline and hybrids. Michael Steiner, Porsche's R&D board member, stated electric vehicles should account for a quarter of yearly Porsche sales in 2025.
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsSpec Comparo: Benelli TRK 502X vs Kawasaki Versys X 300 vs SWM SuperDual T
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: Audi Q4 e-tron concept sketches unveiled
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani