Porsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
German premium car manufacturer, Porsche has announced plans of exiting the diesel powertrain space completely. The company launched its first diesel offering in the form of the Cayenne SUV nine years ago as it was a booming segment back then. Further, Porsche introduced diesel versions of the Macan and the Panamera as well. However, all of that will end this year as Porsche retires all its diesel-powered vehicles.
When Porsche launched the third-gen Cayenne last year, there was no diesel version, which could have been as the first hint to this recent development. And now the company has stopped global production of the Macan S diesel and also the Panamera 4S diesel. It is said that the company has stopped global production of these diesel offerings and has no plans of making the 3.0-litre turbo diesel comply with the future emission standards. The official statement released by the company states that the Macan S diesel has been taken out of the production programme as the buyer demand moves towards petrol and hybrid versions. The company mentions that diesels account to 15 per cent of total sales globally. Talking specifically about the Panamera, the diesel accounts for 15 percent while that for gasoline is 35 per cent and 4 E-Hybrid is 50 percent.
Porsche Mission-E to launch next year
Porsche has already spent over a billion dollars at its Stuttgart plant for electrification and hybrids. The company plans to launch the Mission E four-door electric saloon by 2019. In fact, Porsche is the first company that has been vocal about discontinuing its diesels in favour of gasoline and hybrids. Michael Steiner, Porsche's R&D board member, stated electric vehicles should account for a quarter of yearly Porsche sales in 2025.
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship