Porsche Mission E to enter production by 2020
The supervisory board of Porsche have given the go ahead for the development and production of the Mission E four-door four-seater sportscar that debuted in concept form at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. Chairman of the Porsche Executive Board, Dr Oliver Blume, says, "We are resolutely taking on the challenge of electric mobility. Even with solely battery-powered sports cars, Porsche is remaining true to its philosophy and offering our customers the sportiest and technologically most sophisticated model in this market segment."
The Mission E, in its concept form, uses pure electric propulsion comprising of two electric motors, that claim a combined output of around 600PS. Porsche says that it can achieve a 0-100kmph sprint in 3.5s and can run for up to 500km on a single charge. A quick 800-volt charging system allows a range of 400km from a quick 15-minute charge. The concept also features induction charging which can refill the batteries wirelessly through a combination of coils installed in the vehicle's floorboard and a corresponding cool set in the parking station floor.
Putting the Mission E into production has attracted an investment of 700 million at Porsche's main site in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and will open up to 1,000 new jobs. Porsche's engine factory and body shop will be expanded in due course, while a new paint shop and assembly line will be built as well.
The Mission E will enter production by 2020 and as Dr Oliver Blumes states, it will be the "beginning a new chapter in the history of the sportscar."
First look: 2019 Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo video
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India launches Helmet for Life road safety campaign