Porsche Mission E to enter production by 2020
The supervisory board of Porsche have given the go ahead for the development and production of the Mission E four-door four-seater sportscar that debuted in concept form at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. Chairman of the Porsche Executive Board, Dr Oliver Blume, says, "We are resolutely taking on the challenge of electric mobility. Even with solely battery-powered sports cars, Porsche is remaining true to its philosophy and offering our customers the sportiest and technologically most sophisticated model in this market segment."
The Mission E, in its concept form, uses pure electric propulsion comprising of two electric motors, that claim a combined output of around 600PS. Porsche says that it can achieve a 0-100kmph sprint in 3.5s and can run for up to 500km on a single charge. A quick 800-volt charging system allows a range of 400km from a quick 15-minute charge. The concept also features induction charging which can refill the batteries wirelessly through a combination of coils installed in the vehicle's floorboard and a corresponding cool set in the parking station floor.
Putting the Mission E into production has attracted an investment of 700 million at Porsche's main site in Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen and will open up to 1,000 new jobs. Porsche's engine factory and body shop will be expanded in due course, while a new paint shop and assembly line will be built as well.
The Mission E will enter production by 2020 and as Dr Oliver Blumes states, it will be the "beginning a new chapter in the history of the sportscar."
First look: 2019 Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo video
- FeaturesBean counters: Observations from the 2018 Rally of Chikmagalur
- NewsINRC 2019: Champions Group announced as new promoters for national rally championship beginning 2019
- News2018 INMRC: TVS Racing's Jagan Kumar wins the Super Sport 165cc championship
- News2019 Suzuki Hayabusa bookings open in India at Rs 1 lakh
- NewsDroom hosts India's first pre-owned automotive awards
- NewsNew Land Rover Defender teased, will debut in 2019
- NewsMahindra XUV300 SUV is the official name of S201, to be launched in February 2019
- NewsLive updates: Mahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV name announcement
- News2019 Honda Civic spotted testing in India ahead of launch
- NewsVolkswagen ID electric hatchback begins testing, to have 550 km range