Production-spec Kia SP2i SUV to be unveiled in India on June 20
Kia Motors will unveil its first product for India, the production version of the Kia SP2i concept, on June 20 at an event in Delhi. This also happens to be the world premiere of this SUV. The Korean firm recently released sketches of the new SUV, which give us some idea of what it might look like.
As seen here, the Kia SUV seems to get quite an aggressive face. The large tiger-nose grille and contoured bonnet accentuate the fairly aggressive bumpers. The headlamps, interestingly, seem to have some heavy 3D detailing, a unique touch being the DRL at extends right up to the middle of the grille. The tail-lamps complement this look too while the curved class area, high shoulderline and the high set chrome bits on the bumper seem to bring a coupe-ish vibe. Dimensionally and in profile, the Kia Tusker seems to similar to the Hyundai Creta
The production version of the SP is expected to name the Kia Tusker and will sit on a platform derived from the Hyundai Creta. New powertrain options will be available. This includes a new BS-VI compliant 1.5-litre diesel motor which is expected to put out 115PS and 250 Nm. The 1.6-litre diesel unit from the Creta will be replaced by this. A new petrol, also of 1.5-litre displacement, will be made available. This motor is also expected to support hybrid powertrain components by 2023.
Kia will be hoping its products make the same impression on Indian buyers that its sister brand Hyundai has managed in the last 20 years. Kia's products add a more youthful, lively driving experience to the traditional Hyundai attributes of good design quality and value. It is expected that the company's first crossover for India will follow this template.
Kia's cars will be built at a facility in Anantpur, Andhra Pradesh, which has been constructed with an investment of over $2 billion and an annual capacity of three lakh vehicles.
Starts Rs 9.99 Lakhs
- NewsCoronavirus impact: TVS rolls out customer-centric EMI scheme
- News2020 Kia Picanto revealed, to be launched in Europe in Q3 2020
- NewsBSVI Toyota Fortuner SUV prices increased, now starts from Rs 28.66 lakh
- NewsCoronavirus impact: Maruti Suzuki launches safety accessories
- NewsHyundai unveils 2020 Santa Fe for international markets, on new hybrid-ready platform
- CONTEST: Finding Solace | Better Photography Weekly Challenge
- Winners of the Macros at Home Contest
- A ‘Bird’ was Used to Make Children Sit Still!