Qatar MotoGP race cancelled due to Coronavirus scare
MotoGP enthusiasts have been waiting to find out if Marc Marquez will finally be able to make that last corner winning lunge at Qatar. But it looks like the wait will last another year. This, because the global crisis of the COVID-19 outbreak has crossed boundaries and is now wreaking havoc in over 56 countries including Europe and the Middle East. Given the situation, particularly with the virus spreading rapidly through Italy, the MotoGP races at the season-opener in Qatar have been cancelled.
Moto2 and Moto3 races will, however, continue as planned. This is because the teams and riders of both classes were already in Qatar for the three-day pre-season test at the Losail International Circuit. The two races of the Idemitsu Asia Talent Cup, also meant to be held this weekend, will continue as scheduled.
Marc Marquez at the Qatar GP
In their official statement Dorna has said "the ongoing coronavirus outbreak has resulted in Qatar travel restrictions being brought into force that affect passengers from Italy, amongst other countries. As of today, all passengers arriving at Doha on direct flights from Italy, or having been in Italy in the past 2 weeks, will be taken straight to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. Italy clearly plays a vital role in the Championship and in the MotoGP class - both on track and off - and therefore the decision has been taken to cancel premier class competition."
The Coronavirus outbreak has also jeopardised the Thailand GP, which was scheduled for later this month. It has now been postponed indefinitely, with reports indicating that it could be rescheduled for the end of the season.
This means the first premier class round of MotoGP in 2020 will be the Americas GP in April next month.
- News2020 Suzuki Gixxer 250 launched at a price of Rs 1.63 lakh
- News2020 Datsun Redi-Go launched in India for Rs 2.83 lakh
- NewsHyundai helps customers affected by AMPHAN cyclone in West Bengal
- NewsGWM India appoints James Yang as president
- NewsSpec comparo: Etergo AppScooter vs Ather 450X vs Bajaj Chetak vs TVS iQube
- CONTEST: Finding Solace | Better Photography Weekly Challenge
- Winners of the Macros at Home Contest
- A ‘Bird’ was Used to Make Children Sit Still!