Renault HBC compact SUV to come in 2020
In keeping with its goal of doubling its annual sales volume in India to 150,000 vehicles by 2022, Renault India will also launch a new compact SUV here next year. This car will join the upcoming Renault Triber and the facelifts for the Kwid and Duster.
Renault Triber spied
The Renault HBC, as the compact SUV is codenamed, will compete with cars like the Tata Nexon and Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza. The HBC will be based on a modified version of the CMF-A platform that underpins the Renault Kwid. The wheelbase will be longer than the Kwid's and we expect a slight increase in width as well.
Power will most probably come from the Kwid's 1.0-litre three-cylinder motor which makes 68PS and 91Nm, paired with a five-speed manual or AMT. Although, it might also make sense for Renault to equip the car with the 1.2-petrol from the Renault-Nissan line. This engine powers the Micra and puts out 77PS and 104Nm. Also, given the more heavy-hauling this car is expected to do, a reworked diesel unit based on the 1.5-litre K9K motor would make perfect sense.
The HBC will come to a segment that seems to be the most lucrative in India right now. Every mainstream car maker has a presence in the sub-four-metre SUV space and a success here will help Renault get a strong footing in India.
Starts Rs 7.39 Lakhs
Starts Rs 8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.31 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.95 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.36 Lakhs
- FeaturesInterview: CS Santosh on training for the 2020 Dakar and his new app for motorcycle riders
- NewsMotoGP 2019: Last lap glory for Marc Marquez at Misano
- NewsConfirmed: KTM 790 Duke to be launched in India on September 23
- News2019 Royal Enfield Rider Mania opens registrations
- NewsWRC 2019: Sebastien Ogier wins Rally Turkey to keep title hopes alive