Renault HBC compact SUV to come in 2020
In keeping with its goal of doubling its annual sales volume in India to 150,000 vehicles by 2022, Renault India will also launch a new compact SUV here next year. This car will join the upcoming Renault Triber and the facelifts for the Kwid and Duster.
Renault Triber spied
The Renault HBC, as the compact SUV is codenamed, will compete with cars like the Tata Nexon and Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza. The HBC will be based on a modified version of the CMF-A platform that underpins the Renault Kwid. The wheelbase will be longer than the Kwid's and we expect a slight increase in width as well.
Power will most probably come from the Kwid's 1.0-litre three-cylinder motor which makes 68PS and 91Nm, paired with a five-speed manual or AMT. Although, it might also make sense for Renault to equip the car with the 1.2-petrol from the Renault-Nissan line. This engine powers the Micra and puts out 77PS and 104Nm. Also, given the more heavy-hauling this car is expected to do, a reworked diesel unit based on the 1.5-litre K9K motor would make perfect sense.
The HBC will come to a segment that seems to be the most lucrative in India right now. Every mainstream car maker has a presence in the sub-four-metre SUV space and a success here will help Renault get a strong footing in India.
Starts Rs 7.39 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.09 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.36 Lakhs
- NewsHyundai Venue sub-compact-SUV could have a long waiting list
- NewsImage Gallery: Hyundai Venue launched in India - prices start at Rs 6.50 lakh
- Review2019 Range Rover Sport Si4 road test review
- News2019 Range Rover Sport 2-litre petrol available at a starting price of Rs 86.71 lakh
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Venue vs Ford Ecosport vs Tata Nexon vs Mahindra XUV300 vs Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza