Renault India to launch its Alto 800 rival by 2015
Renault India is planning to launch its own take for the entry-level hatchback segment and is codenamed XBA. Instead of using Datsun Go as a base, Renault will use the CMF-A platform which it announced along with Nissan last year.
The CMF-A is a bit like the versatile Volkswagen MQB platform and allows various body style and power train combinations. The development work for CMF-A is being carried out in the Renault-Nissan plant near Chennai. This platform could also be used for Datsun redi-Go, although, the redi-Go will probably be placed above the Go.
Renault-Nissan Common Module Family diagram
The XBA will also mark the entry of a new 1.0-litre petrol engine from Renault. The engine has not been revealed yet and is still in the development stage. The Micra's 1.2-litre petrol is good but the entry segment needs an even smaller engine for better fuel-efficiency. Apart from India, the XBA car will also be manufactured in Brazil.
The Renault XBA car will be priced close to Maruti Suzuki Alto 800. This means that it will also compete with the Hyundai Eon and the Datsun Go. Apparently, even Volkswagen is trying to get its budget car in India via a new brand that would be introduced primarily for China. The dominance of Maruti Suzuki in this segment is set to be challenged from all sides.
Starts Rs 2.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.29 Lakhs
Starts Rs 2.94 Lakhs
- FeaturesInterview: Economics behind X1 Racing with co-founder Abhinandan Balasubramanian
- NewsNext Generation Skoda Rapid design sketches unveiled - India launch expected in 2021
- News2019 Hyundai Venue SUV gets over 75,000 bookings in five months
- News2019 Tokyo Motor Show: Toyota Mirai FCEV concept unveiled
- NewsKawasaki ZH2 supercharged spotted ahead of its October 23 global debut