Renault Kwid fails ASEAN NCAP safety test, gets a zero-star rating
The Renault Kwid has failed the ASEAN NCAP crash test, scoring zero stars. The car being tested was the Indonesia-spec car and scored 24.68 points according to the organization's scoring system.
The car that was tested was equipped with just a driver's side airbag. The NCAP test scores take into account an aggregate of three categories - adult occupant protection (AOP), Child Occupant Protection (COP) tests and safety assist technologies (SAT). The Kwid scored very low points in the AOP and COP categories. It scored nothing at all in the SAT category, given the absence of basic safety equipment like ABS, ESP, seatbelt warning, passenger airbags.
This is not the first-time the Kwid has performed pathetically in such tests. The Indian-spec Kwid failed a similar test back in 2016, after which it scored a one-star rating when Renault India made some improvements. The Brazilian-spec car fared relatively better when it was tested in 2017, scoring a three-star rating.
While it is understandable that cost-effectiveness is a big factor in developing markets like India, compromising on basic occupant safety is an unacceptable way of achieving this. Th upcoming safety regulations that bring new crash test standards, mandatory airbags and ABS will be a major step forward in addressing this issue.
Starts Rs 2.67 Lakhs
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- News2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 bookings start in India, deliveries post April 2019