Renault-Nissans Chennai plant rolls out one millionth vehicle in India
The Renault Nissan Alliance Plant in Oragadam, near Chennai has achieved the milestone of manufacturing the one millionth vehicle. The one millionth vehicle was a left-hand drive Nissan Micra that will get exported to a foreign country. The company invited a select few journalists to witness the landmark vehicle roll off the production line. Coincidently, the first vehicle to be manufactured at the plant was also a Nissan Micra.
The company also made an official announcement that the third Datsun branded vehicle, will be produced at this plant. Speaking to OVERDRIVE, Colin MacDonald, managing director of the plant said that the manufacturing of the production version of the redi-Go concept will begin by sometime around March or April this year.
Speaking on the occasion, Christian Mardrus, Chairman of Nissan's Africa, Middle East and India region, said, "Our Chennai facility has and will continue to play a fundamental role in the development of our business in India. Today's milestone reflects the popularity of Nissan and Renault products in India and export markets, as well as the skill and dedication of our staff. It is also a measure of the high level of support we have enjoyed from the Tamil Nadu Government."
The Chennai plant has an annual production capacity of 4.8 lakh units and is the alliance's largest manufacturing facility globally. It caters to both domestic and international markets and has exported over 6 lakh units to 106 countries since it began operational in 2010.
Starts Rs 5.99 Lakhs
- NewsFord Freestyle priced lower than the Figo hatch and the Aspire sedan, here's why
- NewsVolvo wants half its sales to come from electric vehicles by 2025
- NewsVW Motorsport India takes its Customer Sport programme to all three INRC categories
- News2018 Mini Countryman to launch in India on May 3
- News2018 Honda Amaze: Everything you need to know
- NewsFord Freestyle launched in India at Rs 5.09 lakh
- NewsTVS Sport Silver Alloy edition launched in India at Rs 38,961
- NewsSpec comparison: Suzuki GSX-S750 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Triumph Street Triple RS and S
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Ford Freestyle India launch
- NewsBMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018