Say hello to the Honda MSX 125 Grom!
It's exactly one year since we rode the Honda MSX125 Grom in India and compared it to its Indian cousin, the Honda Activa-based Navi. Why is it back in the news? Because the new Grom was spotted testing in India and there is some speculation that Honda Motorcycle and Scooter are preparing to the launch the Honda MSX125 Grom in India shortly. But for this story, let's focus on the wee motorcycle.
The Honda Grom looks like a grown-up Navi. It however is equipped with ABS, front and rear discs as well as a digital instrument console
The 2017 Honda Grom maintains the small motorcycle form factor and doesn't skimp on the equipment either. But it gains a new split design LED headlight, new plastics and a low-slung exhaust. It also has sportier handlebars, a new flip-style key. The subframe sweeps upwards at a sharper angle which raises the height of the pillion seat and makes the Grom look sportier as well.
The Honda Grom's engine is a fuel injected 125cc mill capable of producing 9.7PS/10Nm
The engine, though, is unchanged. This is the same 9.7PS 125cc air-cooled, fuel-injected single cylinder motor with the four-speed transmission as before.
Frame and cycle parts
The Honda Grom gets 31mm upside down front forks
The Honda MSX125 Grom gets a side slung exhaust, IRC tyres and ABS
The Grom uses a 31mm USD fork at the front with a steel swingarm and a monoshock at the rear. ABS is available on the 220m front disc (190mm rear) and the tyres are IRC 120/70 and 130/70 on 12-inch rims. This isn't bare bones equipment for a machine this small either!
The all-digital instrument cluster shows the speed, rev counter, time, trip meter and the fuel gauge
While the dimensions of the Honda Grom could easily fool you into thinking its for kids, it isn't. The Honda Grom is a fun take on an urban runabout and Honda has roundly been praised for getting the engineering as well as feel right. Full size humans will ride this happily and the Grom, surprise, has been praised for its handling too! We expect Honda will show the Grom at the 2018 Auto Expo as a precursor to the launch, likely in April. We expect to see a price just under the Rs 1 lakh mark.
Starts Rs 95,000
- NewsDiscounts of up to Rs 50,000 offered on BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS
- NewsIndian FTR 1200 launched in India at Rs 14.99 lakh, deliveries April 2019 onwards
- NewsLive updates: 2019 India-spec Nissan Kicks
- NewsImage gallery: India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV interior
- News2019 Honda CB1000R+, Gold Wing Tour DCT, CBR1000RR Fireblade and CBR1000RR Fireblade SP launched in India
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Racing M5Electro Formula E electric race car
- NewsMahindra Racing's M5Electro Formula E electric racecar debuts in India ahead of 2019 season opener
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices across range from January 1, 2019
- NewsMaruti Suzuki registers five lakh cumulative CNG vehicle sales in India
- NewsTeams from Varanasi, Delhi and Vellore win Shell Eco Marathon India