Say hello to the Honda MSX 125 Grom!
It's exactly one year since we rode the Honda MSX125 Grom in India and compared it to its Indian cousin, the Honda Activa-based Navi. Why is it back in the news? Because the new Grom was spotted testing in India and there is some speculation that Honda Motorcycle and Scooter are preparing to the launch the Honda MSX125 Grom in India shortly. But for this story, let's focus on the wee motorcycle.
The Honda Grom looks like a grown-up Navi. It however is equipped with ABS, front and rear discs as well as a digital instrument console
The 2017 Honda Grom maintains the small motorcycle form factor and doesn't skimp on the equipment either. But it gains a new split design LED headlight, new plastics and a low-slung exhaust. It also has sportier handlebars, a new flip-style key. The subframe sweeps upwards at a sharper angle which raises the height of the pillion seat and makes the Grom look sportier as well.
The Honda Grom's engine is a fuel injected 125cc mill capable of producing 9.7PS/10Nm
The engine, though, is unchanged. This is the same 9.7PS 125cc air-cooled, fuel-injected single cylinder motor with the four-speed transmission as before.
Frame and cycle parts
The Honda Grom gets 31mm upside down front forks
The Honda MSX125 Grom gets a side slung exhaust, IRC tyres and ABS
The Grom uses a 31mm USD fork at the front with a steel swingarm and a monoshock at the rear. ABS is available on the 220m front disc (190mm rear) and the tyres are IRC 120/70 and 130/70 on 12-inch rims. This isn't bare bones equipment for a machine this small either!
The all-digital instrument cluster shows the speed, rev counter, time, trip meter and the fuel gauge
While the dimensions of the Honda Grom could easily fool you into thinking its for kids, it isn't. The Honda Grom is a fun take on an urban runabout and Honda has roundly been praised for getting the engineering as well as feel right. Full size humans will ride this happily and the Grom, surprise, has been praised for its handling too! We expect Honda will show the Grom at the 2018 Auto Expo as a precursor to the launch, likely in April. We expect to see a price just under the Rs 1 lakh mark.
Starts Rs 51,324
Starts Rs 95,000
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa
- NewsSuzuki Motorcycle India launches Helmet for Life road safety campaign
- NewsPorsche buys 10% stake in EV supercar-maker Rimac