Skoda Karoq based Volkswagen Tharu SUV shown in China, to compete with Hyundai Creta
Images on the internet have revealed Volkswagen's new Hyundai Creta rival for the Chinese market, the Volkswagen Tharu. The compact SUV/crossover is based on the Skoda Karoq but has been extensively restyled. This comes after another VW group was unveiled by the Volkswagen group at Auto China 2018, the Skoda Kamiq.
In terms of design, the front of the car has been influenced by VW's other SUV offerings like the Tiguan. The lighting especially is reminiscent of the American-market Atlas three-row SUV. The rear of the car gets the latest VW trend of elongated, rectangular taillamps with squarish elements. The side profile is less original with the car's Skoda origins clearly showing, especially with the character line along the length of the body.
In terms of engine options, the Tharu will be available with two options. A 1.2-litre turbo petrol which puts out 118PS and a 1.4-litre turbo petrol with 150PS. Both will be mated to VW's seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.
The Tharu is being readied for developing markets like China and also South America, where it will compete with the likes of the Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass. It is highly unlikely that this SUV will come to India, given that Volkswagen is working on an Indian-specific architecture for its crossover.
Starts Rs 9.5 Lakhs
Starts Rs 15.35 Lakhs
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Honda Civic
- Review2019 Honda Civic first drive review
- News2019 Ford Aspire launched with CNG variant in India for Rs 6.27 lakh
- NewsDucati's DRE Off Road Days to happen this weekend
- NewsMG Motor India invests Rs 150 crore on new corporate office, brand store and flagship showroom
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani