Spied: Jeep Renegade spotted testing in India
At the 2016 Auto Expo, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles stated that Jeep would finally make an entry into India this year with the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. However, an OVERDRIVE reader had recently spotted a Jeep Renegade being tested near Pune despite the brand not mentioning anything about its launch here.
A Fiat Chrysler official told us that the Jeep Renegade will not be entering the Indian market anytime soon. Instead the main focus for the brand is to bring in an all-new, locally produced SUV, code-named the Jeep 551, which has also been spotted testing in India. The camouflaged Renegade that was seen testing could have just been here because India might be a part of Jeep's global testing location. It could also be here since the Jeep 551 is expected to use a modified version of the Renegade's (Fiat 500X) platform.
Internationally, the Jeep Renegade is offered with two engine options a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol with a 6-speed manual and a 2.4-litre naturally aspirated engine with a 9-speed automatic. The turbocharged engine produces 160PS of power and 249Nm of torque while the 2.4-litre motor puts out 180PS and 237Nm of torque. Although the Renegade may not be as large as its cousins (the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee), it gets Jeep's Trail Rated badging. This means that the Renegade will go almost everywhere that the others will.
The Jeep Renegade will not be making its way into India mostly because of its cost. Unless the SUV is locally assembled, its selling price will be well over its rivals. According to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, the Jeep 551 will be manufactured in India at Fiat's plant in Ranjangaon, Maharashtra, sometime in 2017. This will allow Jeep to price it competitively.
Starts Rs 75.15 Lakhs
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019
- News2018 INRC: Gaurav Gill claims championship title with Popular Rally victory
- News2019 Ford Figo facelift spotted testing undisguised
- NewsUpdated Force Gurkha Xtreme launched at Rs 12.99 lakh
- NewsKTM working on a bigger and better RC390, to take on Yamaha R3 and Kawasaki Ninja 400
- NewsHyundai QXi sub-four meter SUV spotted testing in South Korea
- NewsLambretta EV to be launched in India in 2020
- News2019 Toyota Camry hybrid to launch in India on January 18
- News2019 Bajaj Platina 110 launched at Rs 47,197
- News2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA teased ahead of debut next month at CES 2019