Spied: Tata Nexon AMT spotted testing in India
Tata Motors will be bringing in AMT versions of the Nexon in India soon. At the press drive, Tim Leverton, CTO Tata Motors, had confirmed that both the petrol as well as diesel engines will be mated to a AMT unit at a later date. He said that the AMT Nexon should be in the market around January 2018. Now a Youtube user has spotted the Tata Nexon being tested with an AMT.
The Tata Nexon looks upmarket and is expected to be a turnaround product for Tata Motors
The Tata Nexon compact SUV gets a new gear lever for the AMT-equipped units. We believe the AMT to be a 5-speeder as found on other Tata cars using the technology. The Drive modes - City, Eco and Sport will be available too as is evident from the video. While it is being widely speculated that the Nexon AMT will be available only with the top-spec XZ+, the image here shows the Nexon AMT with a key-start and not with a push button start. This leads us to believe that the Tata Nexon AMT will come in the XZ trim and at a later date, Tata may introduce lower-specced variants too.
The Tata Nexon AMT will most likely be a 5-speed unit
The Tata Nexon is based on the X1 platform, the same one that underpins the Zest. This will be the last of the legacy platforms that Tata Motors will be using before shifting to new AMP-underpinned vehicles from 2018-19. Tata Motors have used all-new 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol as well as 1.5-litre diesel engines for the Nexon. Both the engines make 110PS of power and are mated to 6-speed manual transmissions. While there are no claimed fuel efficiency numbers, a source tells us that the Tata Nexon diesel will have a fuel efficiency of around 25+ kmpl. This is significantly higher than the competition (Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport).
The AMT-equipped Tata Nexon will come with all the bells and whistles from the top-spec XZ+ trim but may miss out on the push-button start
Tata will launch the Nexon in India later this month. The AMT-equipped units are expected to be launched in January 2018. Expect the Nexon prices to start from Rs 6 lakh.
For more stories from OVERDRIVE on the new Tata Nexon, click here
Starts Rs 6.16 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.67 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.26 Lakhs
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know
- NewsBetter recognition needed in order for Indian motorsport to grow says Gautam Singhania
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage launched in India
- NewsThe 510PS Aston Martin Vantage has been launched in India at Rs 2.95 crore
- FeaturesOD Mercedes-Benz 24-hours Performance Run: Scale of C
- News2018 Ducati 959 Panigale Corse launched in India at Rs 15.2 lakh
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover
- OpinionOn the joys and hardships of motorsport writing...