Srinagar-Leh highway likely to open after March 20, 2016
The National Highway 1D which is also known as the Srinagar-Leh highway is expected to be opened for vehicle use a bit early this year. Usually, this highway from Sonamarg to Drass remains closed during the winter season from December to April on account of heavy snowfall. The highway authorities take around five months to clear the entire 434km stretch of snow.
This year on account of low snowfall, majority of the snow has already been removed from the highway and it will take another week for it to be completely cleared. The Border Roads Organisation has already cleared the stretch from Sonamarg to Drass of major obstacles.
Haji Anayat Ali, chairman of legislative council, has said that if the weather conditions allow, the highway could be opened after March 20, 2016.
- FeaturesWhat's under the new Suzuki GSX-S750's skin?
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out
- NewsSIAM and Ministry of Road Transport and Highways kick-off road safety week
- NewsImage Gallery: Volkswagen I. D. R Pikes Peak hill climb prototype racer revealed
- NewsUniform road tax across states soon, plans the central government
- NewsBMW 8 Series spotted testing in convertible form
- News2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 being offered at Rs 20,000 discount by dealership
- NewsHonda Monkey 125 confirmed for production