Suzuki Ertiga rival Mitsubishi Xpander MPV exports begin from Indonesia
The Mitsubishi Xpander is a compact MPV that is manufactured at the company's facility in Bekasi, Indonesia. Mitsubishi has recently announced its export plans to the Philippines that will become the first export market for the Xpander MPV. This will be then followed by Thailand, Vietnam and other international markets in the coming months. Mitsubishi plans to export a total of 30,000 units during the first year. The Mitsubishi Xpander MPV is equivalent of the Suzuki Ertiga and the Honda Mobilio MPVs sold in India.
The production of Mitsubishi Xpander currently accounts for 50 percent of the capacity at Mitsubishi Motors' Bekasi plant, which is capable of producing 1.6 lakh units per year. Between the expansion of export markets and significant domestic demand in Indonesia, Mitsubishi Motors has added a second shift at its facility last October and starting in July plans to increase production to 10,000 units a month following investments into its welding and assembly processes.
Mitsubishi Motors currently employs 3,000 people at its Bekasi plant. It plans to increase it by more than 400 to support increased production. Mitsubishi also maintains that local manufacturing of Xpander and other offerings encourages the development of supply-chain networks in Indonesia.
The Mitsubishi Xpander MPV is powered by a 1.5L DOHC petrol engine that makes 105 PS and generates 141Nm of torque. This motor can be optioned by a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission. Mitsubishi India has already started taking bookings for the new-gen Outlander in India. We believe the Japanese automobile manufacturer should look at introducing products like the Xpander MPV in India.
Starts Rs 6.18 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead
- News2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV launched in India at Rs 2.32 crore
- NewsNew Volvo S60 sedan will not have a diesel engine option
- NewsUpcoming Tata H5X SUV spotted testing again in new video
- NewsFormula E: Heidfeld scores points for Mahindra Racing at Berlin ePrix