Suzuki to launch motocross range of motorcycles
Suzuki has confirmed that it's launching a range of motocross and off-road motorcycles, consisting of the DR-Z50, RM-Z250, RM-Z450 and RMX-450Z. Capacities range from 50-450cc, while prices will start at Rs 2.65 lakh and go up to Rs 8.75 lakh (both ex-showroom). These motorcycles will be CBU imports, and are currently available on order from Suzuki showrooms.
The DR-Z50 is a beginner MX, with a 49cc air-cooled, single cylinder engine mated to a three speed transmission, operated by an automatic clutch. The peak power can be controlled via a simple adjustable throttle limiter. It rides on 10-inch wheels, and uses RM-Z inspired inverted front forks with 96.5mm of travel. Notably, it can only support a rider with a maximum weight of 40kg, while it weighs in at just 54kg (kerb) itself. The DR-Z50 is priced at Rs 2.65 lakh (ex-showroom).
Next up is the RM-Z250, a 249cc air-cooled, single cylinder machine with a five speed gearbox. Being competition-bred, it gets Suzuki Holeshot Assist Control (S-HAC), a launch control system with three modes. Suspension is KYB PSF2 pneumatic forks up front, with compression and low/high speed rebound adjustability, with KYB rear shocks adjustable for low/high speed rebound and compression. Seat height is 955mm, and kerb weight is 106kg. The RM-Z250 is priced at Rs 7.20 lakh (ex-showroom).
Moving up to the 450s the RM-Z450 and RMX-450Z. The former being MX-competition ready, while the latter is classed as an off-road motorcycle, owing to the addition of an enduro-style headlight and tail light. Both are powered by a 449cc liquid-cooled, single cylinder engine, mated to a five speed gearbox the RMX being tuned for better low- and mid-range power.
Both are fuel injected, while the RMX-450Z has an electric starter. The RM-Z450 is a whole 10kg lighter at 112kg, versus 123.5kg (both kerb) for the RMX. Both use fully-adjustable Showa suspension at both ends, but the RM gets top-shelf Balance Free Rear Cushion (BFRC) for the rear. The RM-Z450 is priced at Rs 8.40 lakh, while the RMX-450Z is priced at Rs 8.75 lakh (both ex-showroom).
In international markets, these bikes are not road legal, owing to the absence of headlights, tail lights (except for the RMX), indicators, mirrors, space for mounting registration plates, and because they're available with off-road specific tyres only. In India, there is no basis for even their homologation. This, unfortunately, means the motorcycles can only be used recreationally, or for competition use.
- NewsRefreshed Isuzu MU-X SUV launched in India at Rs 26.26 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Isuzu MU-X SUV launch in India
- NewsDucati concludes first edition of DRE Track Days in India
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga to be launched in India on November 21
- FeaturesWhy the Historic Monaco Grand Prix should be on your bucket list
- NewsMG Motor to launch all-electric SUV in India by 2020
- News2018 Raid de Himalaya: Arindam Saikia of Team Polaris crowned overall winner
- News2019 Kawasaki Z650 launched in India at Rs 5.29 lakh
- FeaturesFHVI's Royal Classic Car Drive to Mysore
- NewsKymco enters the Indian electric scooter market with 22 Motors