Suzuki to set up new battery plant for electric vehicles in Gujarat
Japanese auto major Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC) is looking to the future as it plans to begin production of lithium-ion batteries, which will power electric vehicles and hybrids, at a new facility in Gujarat. The plant was announced in April 2017, but its location had not been decided until now. This will be Suzuki Motor Corporation's first wholly-owned unit in the country, and will come up in partnership with Toshiba Corporation and Denso. This announcement comes just days after union minister of road transport and highways, Nitin Gakari clarified that the government will not back down from its zero-emissions plan for 2030. Incidentally, the new Maruti Suzuki Swift Hybrid was spotted in India recently.
The Maruti Suzuki Swift Hybrid was recently spotted in India
The new lithium-ion battery facility will likely be set up near the existing Maruti Suzuki facility in Hansalpur, Gujarat. The facility will also add a production line, taking Maruti Suzuki India's total production capacity to 1 million units. With this, the company aims to reach 2 million units in car sales by 2020, and 2.5 million within three years after that, said Maruti Suzuki chairman RC Bhargava to the company's stakeholders. With the battery facility, Suzuki, Toshiba and Denso aim to build a steady supply for batteries that will power electric and hybrid vehicles.
Source: New Indian Express
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
- NewsMaruti Suzuki S-Cross crosses one lakh sales figure
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Santro vs Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio
- News2018 Hyundai Santro: Launch image gallery
- News2018 Hyundai Santro launched in India at Rs 3.90 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Hero Destini 125 scooter quick ride review