Tata Motors developing an SUV for India with Land Rover's help
Tata Motors and Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), it seems have started working on a new project to make an SUV for the Indian market.
The current Land Rover Freelander 2
The new SUV is expected to be based on a modified version of Land Rover's LR2 platform which also forms the basis for its Freelander model. This will be a five or seven seater and is targeted to cost around the Rs 20-25lakh price bracket. The car will not be completely based on the Freelander but instead will see a 50-85 per cent revision, though it is likely to retain the monocoque chassis. The engine will not be carried over from JLR and we believe Tata's own 2.2litre diesel engine with a new transmission will be used.
The model is expected to be launched in the market by 2016 or later and will be Tata's flagship car. The SUV will be sold with the Tata badging with JLR quality in its gene. It will compete with Toyota's Fortuner, Mitsubishi Pajero and Ford Endeavour. There is always demand for SUVs in the Indian market and we will just have to wait and see how this car stacks up against the competition. It will be interesting to also see how this SUV does especially with Tata's current flagship, the Aria not doing particularly well in the market.
Starts Rs 25.65 Lakhs
Team OD | 11 Jan 2019
- NewsDakar 2019: Sebastien Loeb notches fourth stage win on Stage 8
- NewsSpec Comparison: Honda CB300R vs BMW G 310 R vs KTM 250 Duke vs Bajaj Dominar 400
- Review2019 Jaguar F-Pace 2.0 petrol first drive review
- NewsDakar 2019: Hero Motorsports rider Oriol Mena breaks into the overall top 10 after Stage 8
- Review2019 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift road test review
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani