Tata Motors move court to prevent any agitations at Sanand plant
Tata Motors has moved the Ahmedabad Sessions Court for an injunction to prevent any agitations at their plant in Sanand, Gujarat. The company took this step after workers' at the plant threatened to move the Gujarat High Court against the state government's order declaring their strike illegal.
On Tuesday, the workers strike at the Sanand plant entered the 15th day. Tata Motors said that it had advised the workers to resume duty on or before March 11 else it would have to take appropriate legal action. The workers who continue to be on strike say that they have been denied permission to protest tomorrow at the GIDS ground where the plant is located.
"For all such workmen who are yet to resume duty, the company will consider it as unauthorised absence. Tata Motors has also moved the Ahmedabad Sessions Court for an injunction to prevent any agitations on the plant premises. The court has now asked the suspended workmen and their counsel to respond to our move for injunction," the company said in a statement.
"We approached the Mamlatdar who did not allow us to hold protest outside the Tata Motors premises saying that police were busy due to the terror alert. We are planning to approach the Gujarat High Court against the state government's prohibitory order and will take a decision on the matter in a day or two," said the workers' spokesperson Himmatsinh Zala.
Tata Motors had initially suspended two workers at the Sanand plant for indiscipline. Another 26 workers were suspended later after they allegedly damaged new vehicles within the plant. On March 3, the state labour department prohibited the strike while referring it to the industrial tribunal. Around 420 workers then went on strike on February 23 against the suspension of their colleagues. The Sanand plant manufactures the Tata Nano.
More from OVERDRIVE on Tata Motors
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez wins the World Championship
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally