Tata Motors starts deliveries of Army-spec Tata Safari Storme
Pictures have emerged online of the Army-spec Tata Safari Storme. Tata Motors had won the contract to replace the armed forces' ageing fleet of Maruti Gypsys last year and will supply 3,192 units of the Storme in the coming years. The car passes the Army's GS800 (General Service 800) vehicle classification which calls for a hard top vehicle with a minimum 800 kg payload and air-conditioning.
There are minimal mechanical changes to the car with better underbody protection and heavy-duty suspension being the only additions. The 2.2-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel motor (154PS/400Nm) is carried over, possibly with some changes to better suit the army's needs. The army-spec cars come with a six-speed manual and a four-wheel drive system with a low range box.
The exterior of the Army-spec Safari Storme is painted in matte green. All the chrome bits of the standard car have also been painted over, including the wheels and badging. Additions include a rear trailer hook, a jerry can/canister mount on the rear fenders, a bonnet-mounted antenna and special blacked-out lamps on the front and the rear bumpers. All these changes have been made for the sake of camouflage and to better conceal the car in wartime situations. The interiors seem similar to the dual tone set-up of the civilian version.
This Army-spec Safari Storme will be an upgrade from the Army's earlier fleet of Gypsys by providing better payload capacity while still matching that car's off-road credentials.
Source: 4X4 India Facebook Group
Starts Rs 10.84 Lakhs
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Sourav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS launched in India at Rs 2.98 lakh
- NewsBMW G 310 R: Three things you'll like and two you won't
- NewsBMW G 310 GS: Three things you'll like and two you won't
- ReviewBMW G 310 GS first ride review
- ReviewBMW G 310 R first ride review
- NewsBMW G 310 R and G 310 GS official accessories from BMW Motorrad India
- News2018 Honda Navi gets two new colours, priced at Rs. 44,775
- NewsBMW G 310 R and G 310 GS service costs and warranty