Tata Motors to launch a new micro-SUV codenamed Hornbill/X445 by 2021
According to a report, Tata Motors is set to launch a new micro-SUV by 2021. This SUV is codenamed the Hornbill or X445 as earlier reports have stated and will compete with the likes of the Mahindra KUV100.
The Hornbill will be based on the new Advanced Modular Platform that Tata is working on. This will also underpin the upcoming 45X and also the sedan version of that hatchback.
Powertrain options can be expected to be carried over from the Tiago hatchback and a similarly aggressive pricing strategy is also something Tata will look to achieve with this SUV too.
Tata for representation only
The Nexon has been a strong seller in the sub-four-metre compact SUV space. But with most manufacturers looking to grab a piece of that segment, it makes sense for car makers to repeat this same formula at a lower price point with smaller. This will make the already popular SUV body style even more accessible to buyers of an entry-level hatchback. Maruti Suzuki will be entering this space as well with the Y1K.
Mayank Pareek, president of the passenger vehicle division at Tata Motors, declined to comment on the company's product plans, but said the opportunity for small SUVs was huge. He said people who have been purchasing hatchbacks for years will be looking for an upgrade. India sells over 1million hatchbacks every year and for the almost 58% of the owners who replace their car every six years, the micro or small SUV becomes a good alternative.
Starts Rs 6.16 Lakhs
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- News2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 bookings start in India, deliveries post April 2019