Tata Motors to supply 3,192 Safari Stormes to the Indian Armed Forces
Tata Motors has announced that it signed a deal to supply 3,192 units of its SUV, the Safari Storme, to the Indian Armed Forces. The Safari Storme was chosen after putting it through extensive tests across varied terrains in India, for the past 15 months, says Tata Motors. The Safari managed to perform exceedingly well, both on and off-road.
The requirements stated by the Ministry of Defence were minimum payload of 800kg, hard roof and air conditioning. The Safari Storme 4x4 met all criteria of the new GS800 (General Service 800) category.
Speaking about the new contract, Vernon Noronha, vice president - defence and government business, Tata Motors Limited, said that the company is extremely proud to bag this order which is testimony of their partnership with the armed forces. The Safari Storme for the armed forces features a significantly modified suspension as well as an upgraded drivetrain. Deliveries to the Army and Navy will begin in a phased manner.
The Safari Storme for the masses was introduced in 2012 and has a 2.2-litre 156PS motor that develops 400Nm. The 4x4 variant also has an electronic shift on the fly four-wheel-drive system, enabling the driver to switch between 4x2 and 4x4 even when on the move.
Tata Motors' entry into the defence space has been progressing as per plan, says the company. Its High Mobility Vehicle 6x6 has replaced the Tatra trucks. The company also supplies vehicles in the light and medium category. The company supplies logistics, tactical, armoured and specialist vehicles to the armed forces. The company, in fact, has been supplying vehicles to the armed forces since 1958, and has delivered 1,50,000 vehicles so far.
Besides the Indian Armed Forces, Tata Motors sells specialised defence vehicles to the SAARC, ASEAN and African regions. The company also supplies its range of 12x12, 8x8 and 6x6 vehicles to missile OEMs around the world. In addition, the company supplies to UN Peacekeeping missions.
Starts Rs 10.43 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsHarley-Davidson Fat Boy from Terminator 2 film to be auctioned for $ 200,000
- NewsImage Gallery: New Volvo XC40 SUV India debut
- NewsImage gallery: Pagani Huayra BC 'Macchina Volante' spotted in Geneva
- FeaturesPreview: 2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
- NewsJaguar J-Pace flagship SUV to make global debut by 2021
- NewsYamaha Niken launched in UK at GBP 13,499
- NewsRemembering the 'Kentucky Kid' Nicky Hayden a year later
- NewsRenault to focus on few core models to build its India business
- NewsFuel prices in India at record high, petrol reaches Rs 84.70 per litre while diesel priced at Rs 72.48 per litre
- NewsHyundai India to hike prices of its cars by 2 per cent from June 2018