Tata Motors to supply 3,192 Safari Stormes to the Indian Armed Forces
Tata Motors has announced that it signed a deal to supply 3,192 units of its SUV, the Safari Storme, to the Indian Armed Forces. The Safari Storme was chosen after putting it through extensive tests across varied terrains in India, for the past 15 months, says Tata Motors. The Safari managed to perform exceedingly well, both on and off-road.
The requirements stated by the Ministry of Defence were minimum payload of 800kg, hard roof and air conditioning. The Safari Storme 4x4 met all criteria of the new GS800 (General Service 800) category.
Speaking about the new contract, Vernon Noronha, vice president - defence and government business, Tata Motors Limited, said that the company is extremely proud to bag this order which is testimony of their partnership with the armed forces. The Safari Storme for the armed forces features a significantly modified suspension as well as an upgraded drivetrain. Deliveries to the Army and Navy will begin in a phased manner.
The Safari Storme for the masses was introduced in 2012 and has a 2.2-litre 156PS motor that develops 400Nm. The 4x4 variant also has an electronic shift on the fly four-wheel-drive system, enabling the driver to switch between 4x2 and 4x4 even when on the move.
Tata Motors' entry into the defence space has been progressing as per plan, says the company. Its High Mobility Vehicle 6x6 has replaced the Tatra trucks. The company also supplies vehicles in the light and medium category. The company supplies logistics, tactical, armoured and specialist vehicles to the armed forces. The company, in fact, has been supplying vehicles to the armed forces since 1958, and has delivered 1,50,000 vehicles so far.
Besides the Indian Armed Forces, Tata Motors sells specialised defence vehicles to the SAARC, ASEAN and African regions. The company also supplies its range of 12x12, 8x8 and 6x6 vehicles to missile OEMs around the world. In addition, the company supplies to UN Peacekeeping missions.
Starts Rs 10.43 Lakhs
- NewsHero MotoSports Team Rally's Hero 450 RR to make Indian debut at 2018 Desert Storm
- News2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V Image Gallery
- Review2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V first ride review
- NewsPirelli opens its first branded retail store in Agra
- NewsSuzuki Intruder Fi launched in India at Rs 1.06 lakh
- NewsTrack n Tell Intelli Play - Infotainment and tracking device
- NewsAudi India announces price hike ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 9 lakh across its model range
- NewsJaguar XE and XF now available with Ingenium petrol engines
- NewsMotoGP: Valentino Rossi signs with Movistar Yamaha for a further two years
- NewsMercedes Maybach S650 Pullman facelift unveiled