Tata to make 10,000 Tigor electric cars at Sanand plant for Rs 1,120 crore tender
Tata Motors has landed a Rs 1,120 crore tender to manufacture 10,000 units of the Tata Tigor Electric Vehicle (EV) for the government. The Tata Tigor electric cars are being manufactured at the Tata Motors plant in Sanand, Gujarat. The Tata Tigor EV follows Tata Motors first all-electric model in the passenger vehicle space, the Tata Tiago EV, which was showcased recently. The Tata Tigor EV will be made for the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) with the first 500 cars being supplied by November 2017, at a cost of Rs 11.2 lakh per unit. As to when these vehicles will be available for purchase by the public has not been announced, however. Tata Motors pipped Mahindra & Mahindra as well as Nissan India to the tender. The large EV procurement comes as part of the government's vision for an all-electric car market in India by 2030.
"Tata Motors Ltd quoted the lowest price of Rs 10.16 lakh exclusive of GST (goods and services tax) in the competitive bidding. The vehicle will be provided to EESL for Rs 11.2 lakh which will be inclusive of GST and comprehensive 5-year warranty which is 25% below the current retail price of a similar e-car with 3-year warranty," the government said in a statement.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 5.2 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.35 Lakhs
- NewsSavita Oil Technologies to supply Tata Motors with original oils
- NewsMahindra Treo electric three-wheeler range with lithium-ion battery pack launched in India at Rs 1.36 lakh
- NewsImage gallery: Jawa and Jawa Forty Two launched in India
- NewsJawa Motorcycles launches the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two at Rs 1.64 lakh and Rs 1.55 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Motorcycles all-new range launched in India
- NewsNew-gen Maruti Suzuki Ertiga starts arriving at dealerships ahead of launch
- NewsMahindra to launch new Treo electric three-wheeler today
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 road test review
- NewsLive updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 launched in India at Rs 2.50 lakh, Continental GT 650 at Rs 2.65 lakh