Tata to make 10,000 Tigor electric cars at Sanand plant for Rs 1,120 crore tender
Tata Motors has landed a Rs 1,120 crore tender to manufacture 10,000 units of the Tata Tigor Electric Vehicle (EV) for the government. The Tata Tigor electric cars are being manufactured at the Tata Motors plant in Sanand, Gujarat. The Tata Tigor EV follows Tata Motors first all-electric model in the passenger vehicle space, the Tata Tiago EV, which was showcased recently. The Tata Tigor EV will be made for the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) with the first 500 cars being supplied by November 2017, at a cost of Rs 11.2 lakh per unit. As to when these vehicles will be available for purchase by the public has not been announced, however. Tata Motors pipped Mahindra & Mahindra as well as Nissan India to the tender. The large EV procurement comes as part of the government's vision for an all-electric car market in India by 2030.
"Tata Motors Ltd quoted the lowest price of Rs 10.16 lakh exclusive of GST (goods and services tax) in the competitive bidding. The vehicle will be provided to EESL for Rs 11.2 lakh which will be inclusive of GST and comprehensive 5-year warranty which is 25% below the current retail price of a similar e-car with 3-year warranty," the government said in a statement.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.21 Lakhs
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer and MT-09 Tracer GT
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Stinger concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Honda Civic
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-10
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Suzuki Burgman Street 125cc maxi scooter image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Mahindra Rexton G4
- NewsTVS Ntorq 125 - Five things we love and three things we don't
- News2018 TVS Ntorq 125 first ride image gallery