Tata to make 10,000 Tigor electric cars at Sanand plant for Rs 1,120 crore tender
Tata Motors has landed a Rs 1,120 crore tender to manufacture 10,000 units of the Tata Tigor Electric Vehicle (EV) for the government. The Tata Tigor electric cars are being manufactured at the Tata Motors plant in Sanand, Gujarat. The Tata Tigor EV follows Tata Motors first all-electric model in the passenger vehicle space, the Tata Tiago EV, which was showcased recently. The Tata Tigor EV will be made for the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) with the first 500 cars being supplied by November 2017, at a cost of Rs 11.2 lakh per unit. As to when these vehicles will be available for purchase by the public has not been announced, however. Tata Motors pipped Mahindra & Mahindra as well as Nissan India to the tender. The large EV procurement comes as part of the government's vision for an all-electric car market in India by 2030.
"Tata Motors Ltd quoted the lowest price of Rs 10.16 lakh exclusive of GST (goods and services tax) in the competitive bidding. The vehicle will be provided to EESL for Rs 11.2 lakh which will be inclusive of GST and comprehensive 5-year warranty which is 25% below the current retail price of a similar e-car with 3-year warranty," the government said in a statement.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.21 Lakhs
- NewsToyota looking to produce and jointly sell models developed by Maruti Suzuki in India and abroad, Suzuki to get Toyota's engine tech
- News2018 Ford EcoSport S Ecoboost and EcoSport Signature Edition image gallery
- NewsDodge Viper could be reborn in 2020 but without a V10 engine
- Review2018 Hyundai Creta facelift first drive review
- News2018 Mahindra TUV300 Plus P4 continues to arrive at dealerships selectively
- NewsMV Agusta Brutale 800 RR Lewis Hamilton special edition launched
- NewsDatsun kicks off experience program to celebrate 5th global anniversary
- NewsVideo: All-new BMW X5 teased during testing
- NewsNew Honda CRF450L enduro motorcycle unveiled