Tata to make 10,000 Tigor electric cars at Sanand plant for Rs 1,120 crore tender
Tata Motors has landed a Rs 1,120 crore tender to manufacture 10,000 units of the Tata Tigor Electric Vehicle (EV) for the government. The Tata Tigor electric cars are being manufactured at the Tata Motors plant in Sanand, Gujarat. The Tata Tigor EV follows Tata Motors first all-electric model in the passenger vehicle space, the Tata Tiago EV, which was showcased recently. The Tata Tigor EV will be made for the state-owned Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) with the first 500 cars being supplied by November 2017, at a cost of Rs 11.2 lakh per unit. As to when these vehicles will be available for purchase by the public has not been announced, however. Tata Motors pipped Mahindra & Mahindra as well as Nissan India to the tender. The large EV procurement comes as part of the government's vision for an all-electric car market in India by 2030.
"Tata Motors Ltd quoted the lowest price of Rs 10.16 lakh exclusive of GST (goods and services tax) in the competitive bidding. The vehicle will be provided to EESL for Rs 11.2 lakh which will be inclusive of GST and comprehensive 5-year warranty which is 25% below the current retail price of a similar e-car with 3-year warranty," the government said in a statement.
While specs of the Tata Tigor EV have not been released, the Tiago EV concept was recently showcased at Low Carbon Vehicle at Milbrook earlier this year running an 85kW electric motor which produces 200Nm. It comes equipped with driving modes including City and Sport with a 0 to 100kmph in under 11 seconds and a top whack of 135kmph. In the case of the Tigor EV, the tender requires for the car to have a minimum range of 150km on a single charge.
Starts Rs 4.84 Lakhs
Starts Rs 3.35 Lakhs
- NewsAtacama Rally 2018: Hero MotoSports' Oriol Mena finishes Stage 2 in 10th place, Joaquim Rodrigues 15th
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: CS Santosh to lead charge for Hero Motosport Team Rally
- NewsIsuzu India announces cricketer Jonty Rhodes as new brand ambassador for D-Max V-Cross
- NewsHonda Navi crosses one lakh sales mark
- NewsMaruti Suzuki increases prices of all its models in India
- Review2018 Suzuki Burgman Street road test review
- NewsYamaha YZF-R15 Moto GP limited edition and new colour options for Yamaha FZS-Fi launched at Rs 1.3 lakh and Rs 87,042
- NewsNext-gen Hyundai Santro design sketch unveiled, to launch in October 2018
- NewsSportier Toyota Yaris TRD Sportivo shown at GIIAS 2018
- News2018 Bajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brake priced at Rs 82,630