Tesla Model S 60 and 60D variants discontinued, might make way for the Model 3
Tesla, the electric car manufacturer from California has now planned to stop production of the base variants of the Model S the 60 and 60D. However, interested customers can still book it till April 16, 2017 which will be the last date to get one. Tesla has already sent out emails to inform prospective customers and those who had expressed interest in these variants.
2016 Tesla Model S
The Tesla Model S 60 and 60D were sold, at a price starting at $68,000 ( equivalent of Rs. 44.52 lakh) and were equipped with 75 kWh batteries which were limited by a locking software to 60 kWh. The owners of the 60 and 60D had the option of unlocking the remaining potential of the battery pack for an extra fee of $7,000 (Rs. 4.58 lakh). Unlocking of the remaining 15 kWh increased the range of the Model S 60 from 210 miles (338km) to 249 miles (400km) and that of the 60D from 218 miles (350km) to 259 miles (417km).
The plan to discontinue the Model S 60 and 60D comes, as most of the customers ultimately upgrade to 75 kWh and Tesla wants to streamline the ordering process. Tesla currently sells the Model S with seven powertrain options, with the most powerful Model S 100D's deliveries starting earlier this week. With Tesla pulling the plug on the 60 and 60D, the number of powertrain options would come down to Five, but this change in their product line-up can also be seen as a way to make room for the upcoming Model 3.
Tesla Model 3
The Model 3's production will start in July, with prices starting at $35,000 (Rs. 22.91 lakh) and going all the way up, close to the Model S's price, for the top-spec high performance Model 3. Would the Model S get new variants, or would the Model 3's high performance variants fill the gaps? Watch this space for more updates. Also, the INR equivalent for the prices have only be mentioned to give a reference and won't be exact if it comes to India
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 export to Australia begins, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift to be launched in April
- News2018 Honda CB Shine SP, Livo, and Dream Yuga commuter motorcycles launched in India
- News2018 Honda CBR250R launched in India at Rs 1.63 lakh
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Andrea Dovizioso wins thrilling season opener at Qatar
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm flagged off in Noida
- NewsHero MotoSports Team Rally's Hero 450 RR to make Indian debut at 2018 Desert Storm
- News2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V Image Gallery
- Review2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V first ride review