Tesla Model S 60 and 60D variants discontinued, might make way for the Model 3
Tesla, the electric car manufacturer from California has now planned to stop production of the base variants of the Model S the 60 and 60D. However, interested customers can still book it till April 16, 2017 which will be the last date to get one. Tesla has already sent out emails to inform prospective customers and those who had expressed interest in these variants.
The Tesla Model S 60 and 60D were sold, at a price starting at $68,000 ( equivalent of Rs. 44.52 lakh) and were equipped with 75 kWh batteries which were limited by a locking software to 60 kWh. The owners of the 60 and 60D had the option of unlocking the remaining potential of the battery pack for an extra fee of $7,000 (Rs. 4.58 lakh). Unlocking of the remaining 15 kWh increased the range of the Model S 60 from 210 miles (338km) to 249 miles (400km) and that of the 60D from 218 miles (350km) to 259 miles (417km).
The plan to discontinue the Model S 60 and 60D comes, as most of the customers ultimately upgrade to 75 kWh and Tesla wants to streamline the ordering process. Tesla currently sells the Model S with seven powertrain options, with the most powerful Model S 100D's deliveries starting earlier this week. With Tesla pulling the plug on the 60 and 60D, the number of powertrain options would come down to Five, but this change in their product line-up can also be seen as a way to make room for the upcoming Model 3.
Tesla Model 3
The Model 3's production will start in July, with prices starting at $35,000 (Rs. 22.91 lakh) and going all the way up, close to the Model S's price, for the top-spec high performance Model 3. Would the Model S get new variants, or would the Model 3's high performance variants fill the gaps? Watch this space for more updates. Also, the INR equivalent for the prices have only be mentioned to give a reference and won't be exact if it comes to India
- News2019 Ducati Diavel 1260 S: All you need to know
- NewsINRC 2019: Younus Ilyas wins a closely fought Sprint de Bengaluru
- NewsRoyal Enfield Bullet Trials 350 and Bullet Trials 500 launched in India at Rs 1.62 lakh and Rs 2.07 lakh respectively
- News2019 Bajaj Platina 100 KS launched in India at Rs 40,500
- News2019 FIM Bajas World Cup: Raorane 27th, Pissay 29th at Baja do Pinhal
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip