Tesla Motors to enter India by 2015
Electric car maker Tesla is doing very well in the U.S market. It's Model S priced at 70,000 dollars has become the best selling electric vehicle despite a higher price than its competitors. The Palo Alto based manufacturer after having conquered the U.S market is setting its sights on Asia and especially India. But India will be a whole new game for Tesla as here we lack the primary infrastructure required for a full electric vehicle and it will be interesting to see how they go about it.
Deepak Ahuja, CFO, Tesla Motors stated that, "India is a huge potential market where we need to be. I think sometime in 2015 seems to make sense to enter India, but it's difficult to make an official announcement."
Ahuja further stated that Tesla's upcoming car, the Model X should be an ideal fit for the Indian market since it is an SUV. India has been known to love SUVS and recently the trend seems to be rising largely due to the entry of relatively low priced and affordable models like Ford EcoSport and Renault's Duster. If the Tesla does decide to sell the car here it will most likely take the CBU route putting its cost on the higher side.
Tesla has slowly been changing the face of the auto industry in the US and is widely regarded by many as one of Silicon Valley's most exciting companies. Ahuja further added that "There is potentially a demand in India, but Tesla is a high-end luxury car so demand might be somewhat constrained initially and be similar to other luxury cars."
Starts Rs 8.04 Lakhs
- NewsKia Sonet launched: Top 10 segment-first features
- NewsKia Sonet India launch: Prices and variant-wise features explained
- News2020 Kia Sonet price comparison vs Hyundai Venue, Maruti Suzuki Brezza, Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300
- NewsKia Sonet launched in India, prices start from Rs 6.71 lakh
- NewsLive updates: Kia Sonet India launch, prices, specs, details, variants, engines and features unveiled