The 805PS drivetrain from the Mercedes-AMG GT Concept is coming!
The Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S Edition 1 super-sedan that debuted earlier this week was born from the stunning GT Concept that was showcased at last year's Geneva Motor Show. While the GT 63 S uses a 630PS tune for its 4.0l V8 bi-turbo petrol engine, the GT Concept had used the same engine and mated it to an electric motor-generator on the rear axle for a hybrid setup that was good for a colossal 805PS! Between the Geneva Motor Show reveal of the GT Concept and the launch of the GT four door and the unveiling of the Project One, nothing was spoken of this driventrain. But AMG top boss Tobias Moers now has some good news to share.
While speaking to Digital Trends, Moers revealed that the 4.0l V8-hybrid setup from the GT Concept is being developed for use in the real world and will be green-lighted for production 'one day'. Though he didn't divulge into the details of what vehicle it would power, it would be safe to expect hotter versions of the GT super-sedan (like the new prototype spotted at the Nürburgring Nordschleife recently) or the GT sports-coupé. This new drivetrain could also comprise of the electric turbochargers that were showcased on the Project One hypercar.
Since it's a hybrid, there could be a certain all-electric, emissions-free driving range too, safe for the neighbourhoods. But AMG is also working with musicians, video gamers and developers and other companies to figure out a unique soundtrack for this drivetrain for its pure-electric and hybrid modes. Our ears are still reminiscing of the snarls of the GT R, so we are certainly looking forward to listening to AMG's next blockbuster.
Source: Digital Trends
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsFormula E: Daniel Abt leads Audi one-two at home race in Berlin
- FeaturesVideo worth watching: The Frankenstein E28 BMW 5 Series
- NewsTennis-ace Rafael Nadal to be race starter for this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
- NewsSavsol automotive engine oils and lubricants relaunched in India with revised positioning
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Nico Rosberg and his Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing
- NewsConfirmed: Hyundai Creta SUV facelift to be launched in India on May 21
- NewsCox and Kings launches Self-Drive 365 holiday planning service
- ReviewKia K900 first drive review
- NewsBMW iNext autonomous electric crossover teased, will be their new technology flagship
- News2019 Aston Martin Vantage production begins at Gaydon, Warwickshire