The 805PS drivetrain from the Mercedes-AMG GT Concept is coming!
The Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S Edition 1 super-sedan that debuted earlier this week was born from the stunning GT Concept that was showcased at last year's Geneva Motor Show. While the GT 63 S uses a 630PS tune for its 4.0l V8 bi-turbo petrol engine, the GT Concept had used the same engine and mated it to an electric motor-generator on the rear axle for a hybrid setup that was good for a colossal 805PS! Between the Geneva Motor Show reveal of the GT Concept and the launch of the GT four door and the unveiling of the Project One, nothing was spoken of this driventrain. But AMG top boss Tobias Moers now has some good news to share.
While speaking to Digital Trends, Moers revealed that the 4.0l V8-hybrid setup from the GT Concept is being developed for use in the real world and will be green-lighted for production 'one day'. Though he didn't divulge into the details of what vehicle it would power, it would be safe to expect hotter versions of the GT super-sedan (like the new prototype spotted at the Nürburgring Nordschleife recently) or the GT sports-coupé. This new drivetrain could also comprise of the electric turbochargers that were showcased on the Project One hypercar.
Since it's a hybrid, there could be a certain all-electric, emissions-free driving range too, safe for the neighbourhoods. But AMG is also working with musicians, video gamers and developers and other companies to figure out a unique soundtrack for this drivetrain for its pure-electric and hybrid modes. Our ears are still reminiscing of the snarls of the GT R, so we are certainly looking forward to listening to AMG's next blockbuster.
Source: Digital Trends
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350
- NewsMercedes-Benz C-Class facelift petrol to launch in India by the end of 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS launched in India at Rs 84.70 lakh
- News2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 bookings start in India, deliveries post April 2019