The Mini Minor to make a come-back in the form of a smaller Mini
Minis have grown bigger in size, more than what their original proprietors intended them to. BMW seems to agree with that fact too and understands that there is now room for a smaller Mini. Remember the Rocketman concept that Mini showed back at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show? Well, BMW has decided to put it into production. For beginners, the production Rocketman will be the smallest Mini on offer and will revive the Minor badge that was used in the '60s.
The Mini Rocketman concept that was shown at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show
Interestingly, BMW will use Toyota's small-car expertise to build the Mini Minor. The two already have a partnership agreement to develop a new-age Supra and Z4 and the Minor will be added to that list. Looking at the Rocketman concept, one would expect the next-generation Toyota Aygo to lend its underpinnings to the smaller Mini, but people in the know hint towards an all-new platform being developed for Minor.
The original Mini from the '60s was called the Morris Mini-Minor
BMW is also said to be keen on the putting the Mini Superleggera roadster concept into production by 2018. The Minor and the Superleggera will be two new model lines that will join Mini's current portfolio that includes the hatchback (hardtop and convertible), the Countryman (crossover) and the upcoming Clubman (station wagon).
Source: Automobile magazine
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- NewsF2 2018: Arjun Maini signs with Trident for FIA Formula 2 Championship
- Review2018 TVS Apache RR 310 road test review
- Features2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 long term review: After 12,572km and two years
- NewsPorsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
- News721PS/770Nm Ferrari 488 Pista comes with the most powerful V8 built by the company
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept