Third shift begins at Volkswagen's Pune plant
Volkswagen India has announced that a third shift has been added to its already operational Pune plant. The carmaker has stated in an official release that this decision was taken on account of rising exports and a high demand forecast for the soon-to-be-launched Ameo compact sedan. The Volkswagen Ameo will be manufactured at the Pune facility.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Andreas Lauermann, president and managing director, Volkswagen India Private Limited, said In 2016, we are expecting growth in our domestic as well as export volumes. With the new Ameo, a car that has been specially developed for India, we are expecting a higher demand from the domestic Indian market while we look at supplying more cars to our export markets too. In all, we expect to increase our production by around 15% this year as compared to the last one."
In order to ensure smooth functioning of the third shift at its Pune plant, Volkswagen India has already added 800 people to its existing workforce. The carmaker has said that it intends to hire more people once the production increases during the year. In an official release, Lauermann has commented that the company has been hiring workforce across levels with varying skill sets.
Currently, Volkswagen India manufactures the Polo, Vento and Rapid at its facility located in Chakan, Pune. The company also assembles its 1.5-litre TDI engine at this plant. The Pune plant became operational in 2009 and has an annual manufacturing capacity of 130,000 cars. The company says that it has invested around 800 million euros at the plant and it has a workforce of over 4000 people.
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race
- NewsMahindra becomes first Indian carmaker to drive to Everest base camp