Third shift begins at Volkswagen's Pune plant
Volkswagen India has announced that a third shift has been added to its already operational Pune plant. The carmaker has stated in an official release that this decision was taken on account of rising exports and a high demand forecast for the soon-to-be-launched Ameo compact sedan. The Volkswagen Ameo will be manufactured at the Pune facility.
Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Andreas Lauermann, president and managing director, Volkswagen India Private Limited, said "In 2016, we are expecting growth in our domestic as well as export volumes. With the new Ameo, a car that has been specially developed for India, we are expecting a higher demand from the domestic Indian market while we look at supplying more cars to our export markets too. In all, we expect to increase our production by around 15% this year as compared to the last one."
In order to ensure smooth functioning of the third shift at its Pune plant, Volkswagen India has already added 800 people to its existing workforce. The carmaker has said that it intends to hire more people once the production increases during the year. In an official release, Lauermann has commented that the company has been hiring workforce across levels with varying skill sets.
Currently, Volkswagen India manufactures the Polo, Vento and Rapid at its facility located in Chakan, Pune. The company also assembles its 1.5-litre TDI engine at this plant. The Pune plant became operational in 2009 and has an annual manufacturing capacity of 130,000 cars. The company says that it has invested around 800 million euros at the plant and it has a workforce of over 4000 people.
Starts Rs 5.5 Lakhs
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia finishes seventh overall
- NewsBosch develops an automated valet parking system with e. Go
- NewsSMEV signs an MoU with TAITRA to develop EV development infrastructure
- NewsToyota wants privacy concerns addressed before it adds Android Auto
- OpinionWe make modern cars, so why not tanks?
- NewsUpcoming Lexus ES facelift teased in video ahead of Beijing Auto Show launch
- NewsHonda unveils Small RS Concept in Indonesia, preview to next Brio
- NewsDucati to offer radar, cornering ABS but not missiles on its motorcycle range
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga unveiled in Indonesia, India launch soon
- FeaturesImage Gallery: Shaken & Stirred April 2018