Toyota introduce new 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine
Turbo seems like the new mantra for auto manufacturers across the globe. With many adopting the turbocharged route to small and powerful yet efficient powerplants, Japanese carmaker Toyota has now joined it's peers.
Toyota has just announced its new 1.2-litre turbo petrol engine in its global hatchback, the Auris. Codenamed the 8NR-FTS, the engine produces 116PS and 185Nm at a lowly 4000rpm. The new engine also incorporates Toyota's VVT-iW technology, which works on both the intake as well as exhaust side. A scroll type low inertia turbocharger is employed.
The new engine comes with direct injection that aids fuel efficiency as as well as reduces emissions. Toyota claims a lofty 19kmpl fuel efficiency from this motor and a 0-100kmph time of 10.1s in the Auris hatchback.
There is no word yet on whether or not, Toyota will introduce this engine in India. Given the tight emission norms that are being adopted globally, it would be feasible for Toyota to launch the engine in developing countries. In India, the high power coupled with high fuel efficiency card may just work for the Japanese manufacturer, possibly in the Toyota Etios Liva and Etios cars.
The Tata Zest and Tata Bolt sport a 1.2-litre turbo petrol in India. Also amongst cars which cost less than Rs 10 lakh on-road, the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI has a turbo petrol and so does the Ford Ecosport that comes with a 1.0-litre Ecoboost engine. Reportedly, Mahindra may also launch a small capacity turbo-petrol in its upcoming compact SUV.
Starts Rs 4.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.22 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.25 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship
- NewsMarc Marquez dominates Sunday morning warm-up at Valencia for 2018 MotoGP season finale
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review