Toyota unveils new GD family of diesel engines
Toyota has unveiled its new family of diesel engines at the Vienna Motor Symposium 2015. Badged as the Toyota GD engine, the new power plants will replace the existing KD family of engines that currently power the Toyota Innova, Fortuner and Hilux.
In tune with the global automotive trend, Toyota's new GD engines are smaller in capacity but higher in power than the units they replace. The 2.5-litre engine in the Innova will be replaced by a 2.4-litre engine, while the 3.0-litre engine that is seen in the Fortuner will be replaced by a 2.8-litre engine.
The new 2.4-litre engine produces a healthy 160PS of power and 400Nm of torque which are considerably more than the 2.5-litre unit's 102PS and 200Nm.
The new GD engines will be mated to a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission.
Toyota is now set to introduce a new generation Innova and Fortuner. The recently launched Renault Lodgy is a formidable challenger to Innova's segment leader position and we expect Toyota to combat that by launching the new engine with the upcoming Innova.
Starts Rs 28.66 Lakhs
- NewsConfirmed: 2020 Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in India on August 11
- News2020 Toyota Urban Cruiser compact SUV teased ahead of festive season debut
- NewsJuly 2020 sales: Honda 2Wheeler sold 3.09 lakh two-wheelers in India
- NewsBMW 320d Sport relaunched in India, priced at Rs 42.10 lakh
- NewsSkoda Auto appoints Thomas Schafer as new chairman