Toyota Yaris sedan launched in the UAE, bookings start in India next month
Toyota India is gearing up to rival the likes of the Honda City, Hyundai Verna and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz with the upcoming Yaris sedan. The Japanese car manufacturer had showcased the Yaris sedan at the 2018 Auto Expo that is slated for a April 2018 launch. Toyota has now launched the India-bound Yaris sedan in UAE at AED 59,900 which is equivalent to Rs 10.58 lakh. Mechanically, the Toyota Yaris sedan launched in UAE is identical to the one that arrives in India.
Toyota is positioning the Yaris as a B-high segment vehicle, which will sit above the Toyota Etios and below the Toyota Corolla here. This positioning suggests that the price range of the Toyota Yaris will begin higher than the competition. Since the current pricing of higher-spec Etios variants also enters this segment, Toyota is well aware of some level of cannibalisation of the smaller sibling's market. However, the Toyota Yaris is being touted as a value offering with high level of safety and other features on offer as compared to the City, Verna, and Ciaz.
Powertrain options for the Yaris are expected to be a 1.5l petrol engine and a 1.4l diesel. The 1.5l is expected to be based on the 2NR-FE motor that powers the Etios sedan, albeit with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust ports. The engine is expected to produce 107PS and 140Nm of torque. The diesel option will be exclusive to India and will borrow the 1.4l D-4D drivetrain from the Corolla, in a similar 90PS/205Nm state of tune.
Starts Rs 8.58 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.83 Lakhs
- OpinionNatural selection
- FeaturesThe Brembo 19RCS Costa Corsa explained
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia finishes seventh overall
- NewsBosch develops an automated valet parking system with e. Go
- NewsSMEV signs an MoU with TAITRA to develop EV development infrastructure
- NewsToyota wants privacy concerns addressed before it adds Android Auto
- OpinionWe make modern cars, so why not tanks?
- NewsUpcoming Lexus ES facelift teased in video ahead of Beijing Auto Show launch
- NewsHonda unveils Small RS Concept in Indonesia, preview to next Brio
- NewsDucati to offer radar, cornering ABS but not missiles on its motorcycle range