Entry-level cruisers and sportsbikes coming to India in 2018 - Honda Rebel 300, Yamaha R15 V3 and more
The entry-level cruiser motorcycle category had hitherto been the stanchion of Royal Enfield. However, with the likes of Bajaj and Honda eyeing a piece of the pie, does Royal Enfield have a cause for concern over losing its domination in this segment? Well, the Bajaj Avenger 400 powered by the same motor as the Bajaj Dominar 400, as well as the Honda Rebel 300 will surely take the fight head-on and bring some sophistication to the segment. Meanwhile, the Yamaha R15 v3 may make presence felt as well, and continue the field of one as defined by its predecessors.
Here are the entry-level cruiser motorcycles and sportsbikes you will see in India in 2018:
Bajaj Avenger 400
That the Avenger 220 will get an elder sibling just like the Pulsar NS/RS 200 do was a given. We believe Bajaj Auto already has an Avenger 400 in the works, using the same 373cc liquid-cooled single and 6-speed gearbox as the Dominar 400. Outputs could be similar, at 35PS and 35Nm. To distinguish itself from the smaller Avengers the 400 could sport bigger dimensions and a more premium design while costing around Rs 1.6 lakh.
Honda Rebel 300
Honda will showcase its entry-level cruiser, the Rebel 300 at the 2018 Auto Expo to challenge Royal Enfield on its home turf. The Rebel uses a fuel-injected 286cc, liquid-cooled single cylinder engine producing 27.3PS and 27Nm mated to a six-speed gearbox. Styling is typical of cruisers with fat tyres, a low seat, and slightly tall handlebar. Expect it to be priced between Rs 2.2 lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh.
ENTRY LEVEL SPORTSBIKES
Test mules of the facelifted version of the R15 dubbed the V3 have been spotted and we expect it to be launched soon. The Indian version will get the sportier new design, though is likely to miss out on the upside down forks, slipper clutch and new 155cc engine using variable valve actuation offered in Indonesia to keep costs in check. Expect outputs to thus be similar to the V2 and the price hover around Rs 1.3 lakh.
Starts Rs 84,499
Starts Rs 1,42,109
Starts Rs 19,85,424
Starts Rs 1,25,000
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- FeaturesProduct review: Ixon RS Moto HP gloves
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV
- Review2018 Ford EcoSport S first drive review
- NewsTata Motors' shipments of Indian Army's Safari Storme 4X4 spotted
- NewsTesla releases some of its Model S autonomous driving software to coders
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Classic 500 Pegasus edition
- NewsSpec comparison: Hyundai Creta vs Honda BR-V vs Nissan Terrano vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Renault Captur
- NewsHero Electric planning new EV models to increase sales
- News2019 Kia Sportage facelift spotted undisguised at the Nurburgring
- NewsMercedes-AMG launches the GLE 43 4MATIC Coupe OrangeArt and SLC 43 RedArt limited edition cars in India