Upcoming 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS SUV expected to get 6-cylinder petrol and diesel engine options
Having just launched its two headling Mercedes-AMG products, Mercedes-Benz India's next launch for will be the Mercedes-Benz GLS. This three-row SUV launches on June 17, and is expected to compete with the BMW X7 and the Range Rover Sport.
We suspect that the GLS will get engine options very similar to the new GLE that debuted in India in January. The diesel engine option may be the 3.0-litre inline-six OM 656 unit in its 400 d guise. Here the motor puts out 330PS and 700 Nm. Also expected is the GLS 450. This will get the M 256 in-line six 3.0-litre petrol motor paired with a 48V mild-hybrid system. Outputs will be 367PS and 500 Nm with the EQ-Boost mild-hybrid system adding a further 22PS and 250 Nm.
This system can control the start/stop function, fill in gaps in the engine's powerband and recuperate energy to charge an onboard battery. Both engines will pair with the nine-speed automatic gearbox and the 4 Matic AWD system. We also expect the Airmatic air suspension and the trip E-Active Body Control feature to be made available on higher trims.
The GLS should also get Multibeam headlights as standard, an advanced MBUX infotainment system with rear tablets, five-zone climate control, numerous materials and trim options for the interior and a carwash mode are some of the other feature highlights of the new GLS. The second-gen GLS is also a much larger car than before for its occupants, the wheelbase has grown by 60mm and second-row legroom by 87mm.
The Mercedes GLS is expected to be priced from Rs 1.3 to 1.4 crore.
Watch our video review of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLS below
Starts Rs 99.9 Lakhs
Starts Rs 92.5 Lakhs
- NewsNew-gen BMW S 1000 R in works, could get major updates
- NewsToyota halts production at Bidadi plant till July 22, 2020, adheres to Karnataka Govt. guidelines
- NewsMahindra Mojo BS6 launch by end of July, will rival Bajaj Dominar 250, Suzuki Gixxer 250 and Jawa 42
- News2020 Honda City: Variants and prices explained
- News2020 Honda City launched in India, prices start from Rs 10.90 lakh
- Digitising Text
- Abstract | Winners and Honourable Mentions
- BP Tip of the Day: Getting Out of a Creative Block