Upcoming 700km Mumbai-Nagpur expressway to reduce travel time by half
The upcoming Nagpur-Mumbai Super Communication Expressway (NMSCE) is an eight-lane 700km road project which will cut the present travel time of 16 hours between these cities by half. The express corridor will connect the Nagpur, Buldhana, Amravati, Wardha, Washim, Thane, Aurangabad, Akola, Bhiwandi and Nashik districts with Mumbai. The NMSCE will have underpasses for foot traffic, along with flyovers and interchanges at major road intersections. The route will avoid major towns and cities and provide for vehicular underpasses and pedestrian underpasses at every village and town which it crosses. This new Mumbai-Nagpur expressway is expected to be ready by 2021.
File picture for representation only
Being built at a cost of Rs46,000 crores, the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) project will also include the development of industrial clusters, townships, IT hubs and educational centres along the way. The project will provide for amenities like solar lighting to ensure energy efficiency. There are expected to be telephones, food plazas, restaurants, shops every 5 km and other amenities such as trauma centres, bus bays and truck terminals. Users will also get free Wi-Fi access. CCTV cameras will be placed along the entire route and there will be close traffic surveillance.
The MSRDC has already acquired 60 per cent of the 9,330 hectares of land it requires for the project. The project will take three years to complete once the tendering process, being floated by the government on April 10, is complete. This road, while improving connectivity within Maharashtra, may also provide a leg up to the economy in terms of job creation and investment in the districts it will pass through.
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship
- NewsMarc Marquez dominates Sunday morning warm-up at Valencia for 2018 MotoGP season finale
- NewsVinales secures pole position for 2018 MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Marquez qualifies fifth despite crash
- News2018 JK NRC: Nayan Chatterjee and Karthik Tharani take Euro JK 18 championship down to the wire
- Review2018 TVS Radeon road test review
- News2018 Mahindra Alturas G4: Preliminary image gallery
- NewsVinod Dasari resigns as MD and CEO of Ashok Leyland
- Review2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 road test review
- NewsSpec comparo: Jawa vs Royal Enfield Classic 350