Upcoming Renault Kwid based MPV spotted testing for the first time
During the launch of the Renault Captur SUV, representatives of the French car-maker had announced that a sub-4 metre MPV based on the Renault Kwid was under development. Not much had been heard of this since then until now when the new MPV has been spotted testing for the first time.
The new MPV will be based on the CMF-A+ platform, a derivation of the Kwid's CMF-A underpinnings. The MPV seems to follow the Kwid's design language closely, the signature narrow Renault grille is visible, as a bumper mounted LED DRLs. The headlamps seem to slightly more elongated than that on the Kwid, tapering off as it meets the grille. A notable element is the high-set bonnet line, again drawing inspiration from the Kwid. The side profile is flat sided, with the roofline dipping from the second row of seats onwards. The sloped rear windscreen is quite interesting compared to more conventional designs from rivals like the soon to updated Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. It gets a sloped rear windscreen.
Power will most probably come from the Kwid's 1.0-litre three-cylinder motor which makes 68PS and 91Nm, paired with a 5-speed manual or AMT. Although, it might also make sense for Renault to equip the car with the 1.2-petrol from the Renault-Nissan line. This engine powers the Micra and puts out 77PS and 104Nm. Also, given the more heavy-hauling, this car is expected to do, a reworked diesel unit based on the 1.5-litre K9K motor would make perfect sense.
Renault recently confirmed that it would focus on its core models in India to gain more sales. This vehicle follows that strategy. The Kwid had impressed buyers with its space, feature list and value. The new MPV will hope to be as appealing, given that the company's recent record with bigger vehicles like the Lodgy and Captur hasn't been ideal. Although no dates have been announced, the Kwid based MPV could be launched by the end of the year.
Starts Rs 2.67 Lakhs
Starts Rs 7.44 Lakhs
Starts Rs 10 Lakhs
- NewsImage gallery: Koeniggsegg Regera KNC
- NewsHonda X-Blade launched with ABS at Rs 87,776
- NewsThis is the most outrageous Koenigsegg Regera hypercar yet
- News2019 BMW X4 coupe-SUV spotted testing in India, launch early next year
- NewsAutomobili Pininfarina's 1900PS hypercar will be called Battista
- NewsNissan Kicks SUV bookings to open on December 14
- NewsDiscounts of up to Rs 50,000 offered on BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS
- NewsIndian FTR 1200 launched in India at Rs 14.99 lakh, deliveries April 2019 onwards
- NewsLive updates: 2019 India-spec Nissan Kicks
- NewsImage gallery: India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV interior