Video: 2015 Honda Civic Type R laps the Nordschleife in 7:50.63
When we reported the unveiling of the all-new Civic Type R at the Geneva Motor Show, we were waiting to hear more on the CTR's Nürburgring feat. There was word that the new Civic Type R was gunning to break the Nordschleife lap record for front-wheel-driven cars and looks like it was true. Honda has released an in-car video of the 2015 Civic Type R as the hot hatch laps the Nordschleife in 7 minutes and 50.63 seconds!
It may not sound like a lot, but beating the eight minute barrier in a front-wheel-driven car isn't child's play. The only other cars to have achieved that feat are the Seat Leon Cupra (7:58) and the Renaultsport Mégane 275 Trophy R (7:54). Since 'Ring claims are always a sensitive topic, more so when a manufacturer gets involved, the 7:50 claim won't be an easy one for Honda. There is bound to be a lot of debate as the car in the video uses a full roll cage. Honda assures in its press release that the cage was only installed for safety reasons and not to add rigidity to the setup. To compensate for the added weight, unnecessary items like the air-conditioning unit, the audio equipment and the front passenger seat were removed. The engine tuning, suspension setup, drivetrain, exhaust, brakes and the aerodynamic package were identical to those of the production Civic Type R though.
All arguments aside, the timing set by the Civic Type R is a commendable one and only cements the performance quotient further for the 310PS hot hatch. Watch the video for the full lap here. It's worth your time.
For more stories from the Geneva Motor Show 2015, click here.
- NewsMaruti Suzuki S-Cross crosses one lakh sales figure
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Santro vs Tata Tiago vs Maruti Suzuki Celerio
- News2018 Hyundai Santro: Launch image gallery
- News2018 Hyundai Santro launched in India at Rs 3.90 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Hyundai Santro India launch
- NewsRoyal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 bookings open in India
- NewsUpcoming Tata Harrier SUV undergoes handling tests in new video
- News2019 Yamaha FZ FI spotted testing in India
- NewsLimited-run Mini Cooper S Oxford Edition launched in India at Rs 44.90 lakh
- Review2018 Hero Destini 125 scooter quick ride review