Vijay Mallya no longer India's representative at the FIA
Vijay Mallya has stepped down from his post in the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC). The Indian businessman and team principal of the Sahara Force India team, has been embroiled in legal controversies that include defrauding banks and defaulting on loan payments. However, Mallya, who once held the post of Honorary Chairman of the Federation of Motorsport Clubs of India (FMSCI), had also been nominated by the FMSCI to the FIA General Body. As a General Body member, he stood for elections for the WMSC and, upon winning the election, became part of the WMSC. However, at the last meeting of the WMSC in June, Mallya tendered his resignation, which was accepted by the FIA.
Vijay Mallya is no longer India's representative to the FIA General Body or the WMSC
The FMSCI will now nominate a new member to the FIA General Body at the end of the year. Speaking about Mallya's resignation from the FIA and WMSC, Akbar Ebrahim, the president of the FMSCI stated "The FMSCI will nominate a new member to the FIA General Body in December 2017 as an ASN cannot nominate anyone in between the tenure as per the FIA statutes."
When asked about the need for Mallya, given the controversy he is currently embroiled in, to step down from his post in the WMSC, Ebrahim declined to comment. However, he did speak about the post of Honorary Chairman, which came up for renewal in January 2017 and was not renewed. "As per normal routine, the post came up for renewal in January 2017. This post was not renewed by the new FMSCI Council and was kept in abeyance as there is no compulsion or mandate to have an Honorary Chairman and it is optional."
He went on to say that matters regarding the post of Honorary Chairman will be discussed in forthcoming board meetings. "If the board decides that it would be in the interest of the FMSCI to have an Honorary Chairman and when, we would then look at creating a shortlist of people of high standing."
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa