Volkswagen Ameo to feature an updated 1.5-litre diesel engine
Volkswagen will enter the sub-4m compact sedan segment with the Ameo, which was previewed a day before the 2016 Auto Expo. Built specifically to cater to Indian demands, the Ameo will be the first car to be made by the German brand that has been designed with inputs from Volkswagen India. While we have already previewed the Ameo, there are some important differences that the production version will feature when launched in India this festive season.
Updated 1.5-litre diesel EA189
The Volkswagen Ameo will be offered with 1.2-litre petrol MPI and 1.5-litre TDI engines. The petrol motor will produce the same output as the Polo, which is 75PS/110Nm while the diesel will have an updated 1.5l motor that is expected to make 92PS of power and a segment highest 240Nm of torque. Considering how well the Volkswagen Polo performs with the older engine, the Volkswagen Ameo will probably give its rivals like the Honda Amaze, Ford Figo Aspire and the Hyundai Xcent, a run for their money. The Polo and the Vento too will get these updated EA189 engines.
New LED element headlight, 15-inch wheels and updated MirrorLink infotainment system
In its present form, the Ameo looks identical to the Volkswagen Polo from front. But, the final production version will receive changes. A significant change to the production-spec Ameo will be the LED elements in the headlight assembly similar to the Vento facelift showcased at the expo. Also, there will be more chrome bits on the grille. Another important difference will be the wheels on the Volkswagen Ameo. It will not feature 16-inch wheels, as seen at the expo and the preview car, but instead will feature a 15-inch set. These will attribute to reduced costs and practicality, as these are shared with the Polo.
Inside, the Ameo will have an updated MirrorLink infotainment system, as confirmed by Volkswagen India. The MirrorLink, as the name suggests, mirrors the phone screen (Android or iOS) which helps in executing several functions without having to look at the device.
The Volkswagen Polo starts at around Rs 5.5 lakh and Volkswagen may position the Ameo just above it so as to not eat into the Polo's sales. This means prices could begin at around Rs 6 lakh and go all the way up to just over Rs 8 lakh.
Also from OVERDRIVE on the Volkswagen Ameo:
Starts Rs 5.5 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.82 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.51 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.46 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.42 Lakhs
- News2018 Mini Countryman to launch in India on May 3
- News2018 Honda Amaze: Everything you need to know
- NewsFord Freestyle launched in India at Rs 5.09 lakh
- NewsTVS Sport Silver Alloy edition launched in India at Rs 38,961
- NewsSpec comparison: Suzuki GSX-S750 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Triumph Street Triple RS and S
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Ford Freestyle India launch
- NewsBMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018
- NewsVolvo XC40 based Geely Concept Icon unveiled at Auto China 2018
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 spied in new two-tone paint options
- News2018 Ducati Monster 821 to be launched in India on May 1, 2018