Volkswagen Ameo to feature an updated 1.5-litre diesel engine
Volkswagen will enter the sub-4m compact sedan segment with the Ameo, which was previewed a day before the 2016 Auto Expo. Built specifically to cater to Indian demands, the Ameo will be the first car to be made by the German brand that has been designed with inputs from Volkswagen India. While we have already previewed the Ameo, there are some important differences that the production version will feature when launched in India this festive season.
Updated 1.5-litre diesel EA189
The Volkswagen Ameo will be offered with 1.2-litre petrol MPI and 1.5-litre TDI engines. The petrol motor will produce the same output as the Polo, which is 75PS/110Nm while the diesel will have an updated 1.5l motor that is expected to make 92PS of power and a segment highest 240Nm of torque. Considering how well the Volkswagen Polo performs with the older engine, the Volkswagen Ameo will probably give its rivals like the Honda Amaze, Ford Figo Aspire and the Hyundai Xcent, a run for their money. The Polo and the Vento too will get these updated EA189 engines.
New LED element headlight, 15-inch wheels and updated MirrorLink infotainment system
In its present form, the Ameo looks identical to the Volkswagen Polo from front. But, the final production version will receive changes. A significant change to the production-spec Ameo will be the LED elements in the headlight assembly similar to the Vento facelift showcased at the expo. Also, there will be more chrome bits on the grille. Another important difference will be the wheels on the Volkswagen Ameo. It will not feature 16-inch wheels, as seen at the expo and the preview car, but instead will feature a 15-inch set. These will attribute to reduced costs and practicality, as these are shared with the Polo.
Inside, the Ameo will have an updated MirrorLink infotainment system, as confirmed by Volkswagen India. The MirrorLink, as the name suggests, mirrors the phone screen (Android or iOS) which helps in executing several functions without having to look at the device.
The Volkswagen Polo starts at around Rs 5.5 lakh and Volkswagen may position the Ameo just above it so as to not eat into the Polo's sales. This means prices could begin at around Rs 6 lakh and go all the way up to just over Rs 8 lakh.
Also from OVERDRIVE on the Volkswagen Ameo:
Starts Rs 6.65 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.82 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.81 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.46 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
- NewsIndia-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks unveiled In Mumbai
- NewsMahindra and Ford to collaborate on shared powertrains, connected car tech
- NewsLive updates: Reveal of India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks
- Review2019 Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro first ride review
- NewsConfirmed: KTM says 790 Duke launch in India not slated for November
- News2019 Hyundai Tucson facelift coming to India in May 2019
- NewsBREAKING: 2018 KTM 790 Duke to be launched in India post-Diwali 2018, pre-bookings already open
- News2019 Porsche Cayenne launched in India at Rs 1.19 crore
- Review2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo first drive review
- NewsSkoda Vision X SUV to be shown in production guise in March 2019