Volkswagen begins production of the Tiguan in India
Volkswagen has announced that production of the Tiguan, their upcoming SUV in India has started at their plant in Aurangabad. The Tiguan, which is the segment best-seller in the European market is probably one of the most awaited Indian launches in 2017.
Based on the MQB platform, the Tiguan will mark Volkswagen's re-entry in the SUV segment of the Indian market, which is very important for them, as it extends their product portfolio. We had first driven the Volkswagen Tiguan shortly after it was first displayed to the Indian market at the 2016 Indian Auto Expo.
The Tiguan is now in its second generation globally, which is 50kg lighter than the previous generation because of the new platform. The SUV also is one of the safest out there, as it scored a 5-star safety rating in the Euro NCAP tests.
The India-spec Tiguan is powered by a 2.0-litre TDI engine producing 150PS and 340Nm, mated to a 7-speed dual clutch DSG transmission which we drove and were impressed by the smooth power delivery. The Tiguan will be brought in as CKD kits and assembled at the Volkswagen plant.
The launch of the Tiguan is an Important one, because alongside extending Volkswagen's portfolio in India, its launch here also proves how important our market is, for Volkswagen. Volkswagen has been launching its global products in the Indian market with the most recent launch being that of the Polo GTI. The launch of the Tiguan in India was touted to be in the first quarter in India, and with the start of its production, it is safe to say that it is around the corner.
Starts Rs 27.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.54 Lakhs
- NewsMaserati Ghibli Ribelle is an all-black limited edition offering for the EMEA markets
- News2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 twin and Interceptor 650 twin prices out!
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross facelift spotted testing in India
- NewsTriumph India to launch six new motorcycles by June 2019
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS interiors revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know
- NewsBetter recognition needed in order for Indian motorsport to grow says Gautam Singhania
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Aston Martin Vantage launched in India