Volkswagen begins production of the Tiguan in India
Volkswagen has announced that production of the Tiguan, their upcoming SUV in India has started at their plant in Aurangabad. The Tiguan, which is the segment best-seller in the European market is probably one of the most awaited Indian launches in 2017.
Based on the MQB platform, the Tiguan will mark Volkswagen's re-entry in the SUV segment of the Indian market, which is very important for them, as it extends their product portfolio. We had first driven the Volkswagen Tiguan shortly after it was first displayed to the Indian market at the 2016 Indian Auto Expo.
The Tiguan is now in its second generation globally, which is 50kg lighter than the previous generation because of the new platform. The SUV also is one of the safest out there, as it scored a 5-star safety rating in the Euro NCAP tests.
The India-spec Tiguan is powered by a 2.0-litre TDI engine producing 150PS and 340Nm, mated to a 7-speed dual clutch DSG transmission which we drove and were impressed by the smooth power delivery. The Tiguan will be brought in as CKD kits and assembled at the Volkswagen plant.
The launch of the Tiguan is an Important one, because alongside extending Volkswagen's portfolio in India, its launch here also proves how important our market is, for Volkswagen. Volkswagen has been launching its global products in the Indian market with the most recent launch being that of the Polo GTI. The launch of the Tiguan in India was touted to be in the first quarter in India, and with the start of its production, it is safe to say that it is around the corner.
Starts Rs 27.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.42 Lakhs
- NewsTVS Sport Silver Alloy edition launched in India at Rs 38,961
- NewsSpec comparison: Suzuki GSX-S750 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Triumph Street Triple RS and S
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Ford Freestyle India launch
- NewsBMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018
- NewsVolvo XC40 based Geely Concept Icon unveiled at Auto China 2018
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 spied in new two-tone paint options
- News2018 Ducati Monster 821 to be launched in India on May 1, 2018
- NewsHyundai Lafesta shown at Auto China 2018
- NewsSpec comparison: Toyota Yaris vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
- NewsAudi Q5L unveiled before Auto China 2018 debut