Volkswagen I.D. R all-electric racecar breaks Pikes Peak Hill Climb record
Volkswagen Motorsport driver Romain Dumas is the new king of Pikes Peak! The French driver set a blistering 7m57.148s time to become the fastest driver ever, at the 2018 Pike Peak International Hill Climb. The Volkswagen I.D. R has also become the first racecar to clock a sub 8 second time. The car's average speed during the record run was 145.70kmph.
The previous record at 8m.13.878s was set in 2013 by Sebastian Loeb, in a special Peugeot race car. For those unaware, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, is a 19.988km course, comprising of 156 turns that summits at 14,115ft above sea level.
The Volkswagen team looked dominant, right from the qualifying session onwards with Dumas setting a quick pace from the word go. His timing was 11-seconds quicker than his closest rival, Simone Faggioli, driving a Norma M20 SF PKP.
Dumas' Volkswagen I.D. R is powered by two electric motors that produce 680PS and 650Nm sent to all four wheels. These motors are powered by lithium-ion batteries that can be charged in 20 minutes only. The car can sprint from 0-100kmph in 2.25s.
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app
- NewsMercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsJaguar Land Rover India now offering advanced connectivity features on Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Discovery
- NewsVolvo Car India opens a boutique showroom in Noida
- News2018 TVS Ntorq 125 launched in Metallic Red paint option
- FeaturesImage gallery: OD SUV Slugfest
- News2019 BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT with new larger boxer engine revealed
- NewsImage gallery: Audi e-tron electric SUV unveiled
- NewsLive Updates: Vespa and Aprilia to launch new products in India
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil