Volkswagen I.D. R all-electric racecar breaks Pikes Peak Hill Climb record
Volkswagen Motorsport driver Romain Dumas is the new king of Pikes Peak! The French driver set a blistering 7m57.148s time to become the fastest driver ever, at the 2018 Pike Peak International Hill Climb. The Volkswagen I.D. R has also become the first racecar to clock a sub 8 second time. The car's average speed during the record run was 145.70kmph.
The previous record at 8m.13.878s was set in 2013 by Sebastian Loeb, in a special Peugeot race car. For those unaware, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, is a 19.988km course, comprising of 156 turns that summits at 14,115ft above sea level.
The Volkswagen team looked dominant, right from the qualifying session onwards with Dumas setting a quick pace from the word go. His timing was 11-seconds quicker than his closest rival, Simone Faggioli, driving a Norma M20 SF PKP.
Dumas' Volkswagen I.D. R is powered by two electric motors that produce 680PS and 650Nm sent to all four wheels. These motors are powered by lithium-ion batteries that can be charged in 20 minutes only. The car can sprint from 0-100kmph in 2.25s.
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsHonda CBR650R bookings open in India, to be priced under Rs 8 lakh
- News2020 Range Rover Evoque spied in India
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: 2020 Ssangyong Korando SUV revealed
- NewsMG Motor to launch eZS electric SUV in India by end-2019
- NewsNew-gen Nissan Livina MPV is a rival to Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Honda BR-V
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani